• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bearing replacement.

Intimidatorno3ca

New CEG'er
Ok. After months of listening to the noise and talking to a few co-workers and seeing other users here reporting the same issue I'm convinced I have myself a worn wheel bearing worthy of replacement.

One of my co-workers told me Ford kept with the old inner and outer bearings from the Tempo and Topaz days and hinted I would need to remove the spindle and press the old ones out and do the same for the new ones.

I'm not super mechanicly inclined but not for a lack of trying. Too busy working and high school never had an auto shop class availible. I will rebuke that I have done 2 front brake replacements on my 98 SE with help from a Hayne's book.

Is this something that I can do over the course of a weekend? Afternoon? Workshift? While I'm doing that is it possible to change the spindles over to a 5 lug. I've had these 15" wheels clogging up house space for 3 years and these wheels would be so much better for my brake cooling than the steelies I'm running right now.

Thanks for any help you can offer up.

no I think your chances of changing over spindles is slim, but my knowledge is limited on that stuff.

Back