• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Inner tie rod?

funinak

CEG'er
I usually do all my own maintenance but I just got our CSVT serviced at the local stealership. They sent us a coupon so I figured to give them a try ONE time. Anyhow when I went to pick up the car, the service writer informed me that my pass side inner tie rod end was a BIT loose and for ONLY $800..........:shrug: they would be happy to change it out for me. I almost fell over on the floor. The breakdown showed $105 for each end ( I'm NOT sure why they needed 2) $500 labor and $100 for the new alignment. Is that possible?? that it is a 5+ hour job to R&R a tie rod end??? It seems a bit high to me. I did a search in this section and it came up with NADA...

never saw this thread before ... never heard anyone talk about this before either

got me on needing two inner tie rod ends but I think that you may need to pull the steering rack to change them, therefore the subframe needs to be dropped. Therefor you need an alignment for that and the fact the ends are new. So that doesn't sound all so unreasonable to me ...

Yeah, by the service manual they'd have to drop the sub-frame and pull the steering rack to get to the inner rod-ends. It's possible to do it with the rack on the car though, according to some....the main problem seems to be that the socket on the inner rod-end is round and smooth and has no flats on it for a wrench to get onto, let aside the room available for using a wrench. You might want to search the old forum to get more details. I'm having the same problem with my 97 and I'm planning on buying some special tools to mess with the sucker before the winter.

Back