• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new car - lots of problems - need advice

Liquid_force

CEG'er
Along with my new set of GY's I got the usual "free inspection".

The report card wasn't pretty. Their estimate to get it "up to speed" was close to $1400.

There were a few frivolous items, but the ones that are on my short list are...

Front rotors/pads
DS outer CV boot
PS sway bar end link
Rear brake service

I'm pretty competent with a wrench and a manual, but I've never owned a FWD and know nothing about drum brakes, so my concerns...

DS outer CV boot - I've done this on my wife's 4x4 SUV, wasn't a lot of fun, but besides everything off...everything on is there anything I should know?

PS sway bar - should I do both if I'm doing one?

Rear brakes - they said my wheel "cylinders" are leaking - I'm not even sure what the cylinder is. My old car and my wifes truck are both 4 wheel discs. Any guidance on those would be great.

BTW - is there a particular manual I should look for?

The endlink is cake. Do both sides. Drum brakes can be a hassle to deal with. However, to replace your wheel cylinders and replace the shoes (you can probably keep the drums, but I can't guarantee that. When I leaked from the cylinder my drum was OK.) and replace your entire front brakes will cost you $700 from a shop. However, front brakes you can probably do yourself, and I recommend it...

The wheel cylinder is pretty easy. You just have to have line wrenches to take it off. Do not break the line or it will be more money. If you have any questions let me know.:confused: :confused: :confused:

thanks for the thoughts.

Another concern I just thought of...
The car seems to have a slight miss when it downshifts when trying to accelerate. That leads me to believe the plugs/wires may be original so I pulled #2 and #1 plug to see how they look. #2 was fine, but #1 was SOAKED in oil. At first I was panicked, but then I realized there seems to be a leak in the valve cover gsk near the plug.
That can't be too tough a repair can it? Looks like the timing belt cover might need to come off, anything else I might be missing?

.Another concern I just thought of...
The car seems to have a slight miss when it downshifts when trying to accelerate. That leads me to believe the plugs/wires may be original so I pulled #2 and #1 plug to see how they look. #2 was fine, but #1 was SOAKED in oil.....?

Welcome. Change the PCV valve.

Back