• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Possible dumb question about speaker size

:shrug: Sorry guys if this sounds stupid but I just looked through a spec. guide to possibly bye some replacemnet speakers and the guide said Contour SVT speakers are 6" X 8".... I never heard of a 6 X 8... I know 6 X 9's are very common so what the hell is up with odd ball size?

Is their anyway to fit 6" x 9" is the stock door panels? I'm totally ignorant when it comes to car audio so any and all suggestions are apprecetiated..

I have a Sony Xplod flip-face, some odd-ball 25 X 4 amp, and a crappy 600w amp for a sub.. The problem is, I believe, I have factory speakers and they may be blown.. I like my music LOUD (I'm a hevy Metal head) and this set-up just doesn't get it done.. (Right now there is NO sub)

I'm on a family mans budget so what suggestions do you think would help boost the volume?

I believe I have 6x9's in the rear doors on my CSVT. TBH, I haven't measured it, but they are definitely aftermarket, and sound nice. They are in the stock location, but they are not behind the little screen, or whatever. I don't think it looks all that bad, because the speakers are depressed a little in.

Vehicle comes stock with 5x7's in all doors. However, 6x8's will fit in all doors without issues. Some 6x9's will fit without any issues. Some may need to be raised out maybe half an inch.

Like zorrex said some 6 by 9's will fit. There are a few companies out there who make slim designed speakers.
I know pyle isn't first choice in speakers but
http://americanesuperstore.stores.yahoo.net/pls-690.html

http://www.digital4cheap.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/SFV/31341/vpid/2812029/vpcsid/0/rid/120428

Also blaupunkt made thin line speakers
http://www.midwestelectronics.com/blaupunkt-thx693-p-74.html

You might be able to find other slim speakers these are just the two I knew of off the top of my head.

EDIT: 1,000 post finaly a hard-core ceger!!

The oddball 25x4 amp that is in there supports all 4 speakers. I put it in there so I could run a seperate line to that terrible amp I had in there and not have everything running together (In my past cars I got a low speaker hum). I used to have a nice Xplode 1200 Amp but it fizzled one day.

What happened to the two subs in the sub bandpass box?

I would definately look into some Eclipse or RF 6x9's. Hooked into the speaker amp, they will thump good and louder than if you are powering them through the head unit. And I think the front speakers are Xplodes as well (previous owner put them in) because when looking through the grill you can see red (stock's are black I think)

Last edited:
You can get 6.5" adapters for the stock speaker locations. I made some custom baffles for my Component set.

Ford is famous for their propriatary 6x8 speakers. That is what the tours have all around (at least my 96 does). Some manufacturers make a speaker which fits 5x7 or 6x8 speaker mounts.

If you do a quick search i'm sure you'd find the post about putting larger speakers in the doors.... usually requires custom work to make them fit properly...

Back