• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My Contour just died on the highway yesterday

Have 98 Ford Contour SE with 208K miles. Driving just fine yesterday on the highway and engine died. Pulled over, tried restarting several times. Wouldn't start. Then it started and died again. Started and died. Then started and never died. Ended up having it towed so that I could be sure to make it home. The tow truck driver drove it on to the truck and said it feels like the timing belt is about to go. I mentioned that to the mechanic when I checked the car in and got a funny look and he said that it wouldn't run at all.

Any obvious thoughts that come to mind?

I have a 2.5L V6 DOHC 5 speed manual. Give me the 10 most obvious out of your 500. Does the tow truck driver have any sense in what he said?:help:

no. it doesnt have a timing belt. it has a timing chain and i have yet to hear of one brake. the tensioner's on the other hand...

My list

My list

Crank sensor, cam sensor, coil pack/wiring, wiring on battery corroded, low battery (although it did crank over and start), due to bad alternator or old battery. PATS system. Check for codes. Less likely to be engine itself.

Just got the call from the service place. Ignition Coil and some sensor. $592 lighter in the wallet. Did I get hosed?

DEFINITELY hosed man. Your best option is to buy your own code reader ($50), in the future, have the car towed to your home, and post codes on here so you can find out your problems, and buy the parts and fix it yourself. And if you're not so mechanically inclined, Autozone has brief repair guides online for the parts you buy...I learned the hard way as well...

Yep that was the sensor. Ouch! Going to be walking funny for a few days after this one. Thanks for the advice. Won't make that mistake twice. :mad:

A used coil set is only about $50 at the wreckers. Time to find some friends that know a thing or two about fixing cars. It will save you a furtune.

Back