• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

oil consumption

RandyCSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
My car has been consuming a quart of oil every 3,000 oil change, and I am starting to worry about it. I did some searching on the old forums, and found a post saying switching to mobil 1 5w40 instead of 5w30 may help. I don't really know the differences in oil types, but this is a Florida car if it makes any difference.

Anybody have any ideas??

My car has been consuming a quart of oil every 3,000 oil change, and I am starting to worry about it. ..
Anybody have any ideas??
Now is a good time to check out Bob is the oil guy forum.

In addition, Ford states one quart of oil consumption per 1000 miles is acceptable. You should monitor the oil level every week or so.

1 qt./1000 miles? Are you serious? Thats terrible! I dont understand how thats within any limits of acceptable.

I agree it is crazily high but that number is from Ford. :crazy:

I would expect black smoke from my exhaust if I lost one quart per 1000 miles. But I don't have noticeable oil loss/consumption (yet).

All of the manufacturers quote a crazy high oil consumption number for warranty purposes. If a still-under-warranty car exceeds the number, they're now on the hook for serious engine work. So it's primarily a CYA figure.

if you want to try and mask your problem, use Lucas Oil Stabilizer, as well as use synethtic or synthetic blend (go 50/50) to maybe see if you can kinda mask the consumption.

if you want to try and mask your problem, use Lucas Oil Stabilizer, as well as use synethtic or synthetic blend (go 50/50) to maybe see if you can kinda mask the consumption.

nevar Lucas oil stabilizer FTL!!!!! I have seen the bob is the oil guy review and pictures of what that stuff looks like after use, and I will stay far away from it. I would seal up my consumption issue with elmers glue before I used that stuff!

my 96 caravan crap box (for sale) burns about 4 quarts every 3000. a few years ago when i was maybe 16 or so i went to change the oil and there was maybe a quart that came out. my dad changed it before that.

my 96 caravan crap box (for sale) burns about 4 quarts every 3000. a few years ago when i was maybe 16 or so i went to change the oil and there was maybe a quart that came out.....

Gotta love those old work horses. Beat hard on it and it still "performs". ;)

o no this thing has blown out 3 trans's and the ecu friyed, and has no power left. sounds like it has big compresion loss. its just tollaly f***ed. no worth fixing at all. but i will admit ive had some good time in that thing. (owow) lol

Last edited:
It might be within "Fords" limits but it still sounds high. I just ran my extended use Mobil 1 8,500. miles and it only used maybe 4 to 6 ounces. I still run it hard and its coming up on 140 thousand.

Jim T.

What are the most probable places to check for oil leaks on the Duratec? I'm thinking I may have a leak somewhere.

What are the most probable places to check for oil leaks on the Duratec? I'm thinking I may have a leak somewhere.
Lower oil pan gasket, crankshaft pulley, oil filter gasket (you should see oil dripping on the Bank 2 exhaust manifold/Y-pipe), and crankcase hoses.

Thanks....I'll check em out this weekend. Are any of those terribly expensive to repair/replace? Just wondering because some of the parts for these cars are crazy expensive.

Thanks....I'll check em out this weekend. Are any of those terribly expensive to repair/replace? Just wondering because some of the parts for these cars are crazy expensive.
In order of ease and cost.
1) oil filter gasket (you should see oil dripping on the Bank 2 exhaust manifold/Y-pipe),
2) crankcase hoses.
3) Lower oil pan gasket
4) crankshaft pulley,

my brothers 1994 3000GT 3.0L N/A consumes 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w30 over 3500 miles...he puts in a quart at almost every fill-up....runs great tho...150,xxx miles on Mobil 1 since birth...if my car drank oil like that i would cry...

my car is taking oil like crazy. Doesn't leave a spot underneath the car but you can smell it burning when you shut it off....and the fact that it is on the alternator and drips from ABOVE the filter isn't a good thought. I just don't have the money right now to bring it in and have checked out to see what seal it is. Goes threw about 3 quarts every 2K miles or so.

Back