• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator noise

Ok well I'll try a different ground tonight (ground at the -'s on the cap).

I have it grounded at the battery directly. The sub amp doesn't have the alternator wine because the amp is in Low Pass mode and internally filters the alternator out.

alright so I tried the grounds directly to the caps. ... didn't do anything. the noise is still persistant. Went to a friends place who had some ground-loop isolators. I could turn the sesitivity up and the alternator noise was better, However it was still there when the volume was turned all the way down. I was thinking, would the alternator ground have any effect on sending noise through the wires? Also I found this (see image) (my buddy cut this from the deck before he installed the deck ("for clearance issues he said")) I think it has something to do with supplying clean power to the deck. Any more thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
well if that came off the deck you currently have in there now, Id say thats kinda needed, for protection.

Yellow is memory and that fuse (if theres a fuse in there lol) will help your deck not blow, and I bet he twisted what wire you have left to the red and jumped it. Do you get a popping noise when you turn the key over? I think that lil box attached to that wire helps regulate current flow. hell ya put that back on and give it a shot.

I dont think the alt ground would play a role in the noise, but it will function better with nice, clean solid contacts....

Last edited:
I take off any extra fuses if the radio is already fused in the car at a fuse box, since there is no need for another inline fuse when the line is fused @ the box and at the back of the radio. The only radio I've seen that doesn't have the fuse built into the back but on the constant power is the newer alpine deck that doesn't have the cd -player and is meant for I-pod mostly.... Otherwise if a deck had a transformer of some sort on the constant line, I leave the in there as well, so your little image there, I personally would of cut out the fuse, but left the transformer in there, obviously the manufacturer put it there for a reason, I don't know what the reason is, but they wouldn't spend the money to put it there unless it was suppose to be there.... IMO....

Here's a test, but try unplugging the RCA's from the 4-channel and see if you still get whine, maybe there is an internal rectifier or something out on the amp itself, if that doesn't affect it, try getting someone to hook up some temporary RCA's that run outside the car to a different radio and see if the whine stops, I'd say your best course of acting is to just start swapping out things until it starts working right, you may even want to try a new radio and see if the whine stops.... Have at er man....

Usually I cut the fuse out as well (leaving the factory fuse for the radio) But I will def'y be putting the other piece back in there. I hooked a multimeter up to it and it is a transformer. I would imagine a 12v-12v transformer but It probably regulates a cleaner power source. I wonder if without that transformer it is sending unwanted power through the rca's as a result? I can't see it happening, but maybe.

That's a good idea with the external signal supply. I'll try that tommorrow.

When I unplug the rca's, I don't get a wine because there is no signal to the inputs.

Usually I cut the fuse out as well (leaving the factory fuse for the radio) But I will def'y be putting the other piece back in there. I hooked a multimeter up to it and it is a transformer. I would imagine a 12v-12v transformer but It probably regulates a cleaner power source. I wonder if without that transformer it is sending unwanted power through the rca's as a result? I can't see it happening, but maybe.

That's a good idea with the external signal supply. I'll try that tommorrow.

When I unplug the rca's, I don't get a wine because there is no signal to the inputs.

Just saying if something internally on the amp was messed up though, you could be getting the noise from the amp not the signal was all I was saying....

Like I said though, going to just have to start swapping until it's gone...

i just rerouted all my wires today (just hid them, didnt run new ones0 when i got it all hooked back up i had TERRIBLE alt noise.. heres my fix.

i unplugged the rcas from the front output jack on my headunit and switched them to the rear output, i know this doesnt sound right but it worked, the noise was GONE. Don't ask me how because i can't explain it either.

its worth a try on your end, it took me 3 hours of messin around with wire to figure this out.

He's simply saying try other outputs from your deck to see if maybe there bad, which goes back to my post about swapping things until it stops and you figure out which part of the system is causing your problem...

Ok ... I give up. Is there anybody in the calgary area that could help? I can figure it out. My friends can't figure it out and they gave up a long time a ago.

Back