• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tamper Proof Screws

KyleQ

Hard-core CEG'er
I've looked around on the old and new forums and haven't found much. I want to replace my clockspring, but the screws on the back of the steering wheel, that keep the airbag in place, are tamper proof. What do I use to get those screws out? If there is a tool, where can I get it?

Most any hardware store carries these tools. You can usually buy a kit with most of the tamper proof bits.

the ones on my car arent tamper proof. I used an allen wrench to get the cover off. There are only 2 screws that hold it on. one on each side. there are other holes though that are misleading

Tamper proof?

Umm, you mean as in torx? :nonono: What's tamper proof about a bit that you can buy at a Wal-Mart?

It isn't torx - I looked. According to Autozone it says it is tamper proof - I'm just looking for some input. It looks like a 3 prong screwdriver would work - kinda looks like a peace sign...

Kyle, if it's what I think it is, you MIGHT be able to get the bit at your local Harbor Freight store. They sell 2 "security bit" kits, the larger kit running about 15 bucks and has just about every bit known to man.

The torx screws referred to here have a small dimple down inside that prevent a regular bit from going in. They're called Torx Security Bits and are available at Zone as well. They're hollow and go over the dimple.

Good luck!

they should be torx unless someone changed them. I cant remember what size though. I just replaced my airbags 2weeks ago.

It isn't torx - I looked. According to Autozone it says it is tamper proof - I'm just looking for some input. It looks like a 3 prong screwdriver would work - kinda looks like a peace sign...

I've removed 3-4 steering wheels before and they have all been the same torx setup.

they are a torx bit but like i said I used an allen key as I had a t handle one that worked great. the other things your looking at i think is just a rivet or something to that affect. how many "screws" are you seeing?

Well - I'll try it with some torx - this car has been in a multitude of accidents - so many that the airbag crash memory was full :crazy: The shop that repaired the damage did such a ****ty job. Drivers side fender doesn't match up, front valence not painted, the bumper isn't even completely attached to the damn car.. It is possible they didn't use the same fasteners when they replaced the airbag...

Back