• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Shift Tower Bolt

KyleQ

Hard-core CEG'er
I broke my shift tower bolt last night - had the car towed, and after 3 hrs, I finally fished it out of the transmission. It looks like the bolt is a fine thread 7mm bolt. Where do you get the replacement bolt from? I dont exactly want to replace it with a bolt from Ford that will simply break again... I'm driving up to Tousley tomorow morning - I'll buy one there if I have to...
Any help would be greatly apreciated...

you have to get a replacement from Ford ... from what I understand it is a unique design ....

that or have HMS do a tower key mod on it.

but your lucky that you where able to fish the bolt out ...

you have to get a replacement from Ford ... from what I understand it is a unique design ....

that or have HMS do a tower key mod on it.

but your lucky that you where able to fish the bolt out ...

THanks for the reply, I found JoeM's in ~ 30 seconds - I did the same on my car - but the magnet got hung up and the head fell all the way down by the differential. I ended up getting a bendable flexible rod with a magnet on the end - IIRC ~ $6 and totally worth it...

I though you could use a SVTF (why is that in that order compared to CSVT anyways :shrug: ) shift tower i replacement...

I'll just get one from Steve - I ran into a similar problem looking for a 9mm bolt for something else as well.... Nobody carries 7mm or 9mm at all...

I though you could use a SVTF (why is that in that order compared to CSVT anyways :shrug: ) shift tower i replacement...

you can use the the FSVT tower but then you have to also use the compatable shift cable which are now obsolete and you can't get them

you can use the the FSVT tower but then you have to also use the compatable shift cable which are now obsolete and you can't get them

Ahh - ok. I bought a few of the Ford replacement bolts and when I installed it I used lock-tite and mig welded the head of the bolt to the tower -I'm not loosing that bolt again :cool:

Ahh - ok. I bought a few of the Ford replacement bolts and when I installed it I used lock-tite and mig welded the head of the bolt to the tower -I'm not loosing that bolt again :cool:

interestingly enough if your car is a 2k you should already have a focus tower, mine does but it was also a very late build

Back