• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash Clock doesn't light up? Help

SVTLAY

CEG'er
Well a while back i did that reversing the polarity of the clock to make it shine backwards and then put a blue led to make it light up. It was working for a over six months but recently it doesn't light up any more and can't figure out why. I changed the led and still no worky. I even went to a junkyard and bought a new one and when i plug it in it still doesn't light up. I checked all wires going into it and they are ok. Also clock does show time but doesn't light up at night. Any ideas of what it could be?

mine has the exact same problem and i would like to know what it is as well....anybody??? oh and for the whole blue LED in the clock thing...will work right if you just put in a blue led? what size led bulb does it take?

Well a while back i did that reversing the polarity of the clock to make it shine backwards and then put a blue led to make it light up. It was working for a over six months but recently it doesn't light up any more and can't figure out why. I changed the led and still no worky. I even went to a junkyard and bought a new one and when i plug it in it still doesn't light up. I checked all wires going into it and they are ok. Also clock does show time but doesn't light up at night. Any ideas of what it could be?

While I can't answer your question I would love to know how you did the reverse polarity mod. I tried doing it and could not get it to work. A how-to would be the tits.

I'm another that can attest to the clock not lighting up! Mine has only one time when I shifted hard then went out never to return lol. I just put in another and it also is the same way:shrug:

If you've played around with the bulb enough times, the contact points on the clock wear off and it can't make a connection to light the bulb.

If you've played around with the bulb enough times, the contact points on the clock wear off and it can't make a connection to light the bulb.

Well i checked both of the contact points and they both seem fine on both clocks that i'm working with. Is there a fuse that just goes to that clock? I will check on this.

Also about how to do the actual reverse polarity i did that mod about 5 years ago so let me look at one of my clock and try to remember. I think you have to peal some plastic piece off a glass background. It should be stuck with glue. Then just turn it around and glue it back. But like i said i did this mod a long time ago and don't remember to well. Anybody still have the how to on it?

Sorry dude work has been crazy so don't think i will be able to look at my clock till friday when i'm off.

Thats cool I can wait till Friday for a how-to. I have been wanting to do the reverse glow clock for a while now. :drool:. Did you do it yourself or have someone do it?

How to on reverse polarity of clock.

How to on reverse polarity of clock.

Thats cool I can wait till Friday for a how-to. I have been wanting to do the reverse glow clock for a while now. :drool:. Did you do it yourself or have someone do it?

Sorry man but i hope its not to late on the how to do the reverse polarity mod on the dash clock. This makes the back ground light up and the numbers are black. Hope this helps any others out there.

First thing is to take clock out of dash by using a small flat head screw driver. Careful not to scratch the dash (I wrap the tip of screw driver with a cloth so it doesn't scratch my dash since i have mine painted.) Just push tab to unplug harness.

Next with same small flat head screw driver just pop out each tab on each side of clock and then pop the one in the middle. Be carefull not to pry to hard or you can break the plastic. Put Plastic back cap aside.

You will now see the interal circuit board just push two white clips on each side out and the board will come out very easily. Put aside.

Next remove a white piece that just slides out. Put aside.

Next take out the screen that is attached to a black rectangular rubber piece. You will also see a white plastic thin cover just put aside.

Now is the actual part that will change the clock to work backwards. There is a plastic cover that goes in front of the glass display that needs to be removed. (Not the back white sticker) It is in the front. Just be careful and pry it off. It will be stuck with glue so just wipe of stickiness with and any degreaser. Soap worked for me. Once cleaned from its stickiness turn that outer cover around and you will notice when you put it against the glass display that it does not turn dark on the display. Now it will work backwards.

Now it is just a matter of put it it back together.

I did not glue that outer cover to the glass display but i guess you could.
Be careful when putting it together to face the display out right and fit the black plastic rectangular piece against the side that has several lines going down and that the piece fits in the groove of the glass display.

The rest should be the above steps in reverse and you can't really put anything wrong since it fits one way.

Well i hope this helps people. If i have said anything incorrectly just lit me know. I didn't the technical name to all the componets so i hope you understand.

Sorry man but i hope its not to late on the how to do the reverse polarity mod on the dash clock. This makes the back ground light up and the numbers are black. Hope this helps any others out there.

First thing is to take clock out of dash by using a small flat head screw driver. Careful not to scratch the dash (I wrap the tip of screw driver with a cloth so it doesn't scratch my dash since i have mine painted.) Just push tab to unplug harness.

Next with same small flat head screw driver just pop out each tab on each side of clock and then pop the one in the middle. Be carefull not to pry to hard or you can break the plastic. Put Plastic back cap aside.

You will now see the interal circuit board just push two white clips on each side out and the board will come out very easily. Put aside.

Next remove a white piece that just slides out. Put aside.

Next take out the screen that is attached to a black rectangular rubber piece. You will also see a white plastic thin cover just put aside.

Now is the actual part that will change the clock to work backwards. There is a plastic cover that goes in front of the glass display that needs to be removed. (Not the back white sticker) It is in the front. Just be careful and pry it off. It will be stuck with glue so just wipe of stickiness with and any degreaser. Soap worked for me. Once cleaned from its stickiness turn that outer cover around and you will notice when you put it against the glass display that it does not turn dark on the display. Now it will work backwards.

Now it is just a matter of put it it back together.

I did not glue that outer cover to the glass display but i guess you could.
Be careful when putting it together to face the display out right and fit the black plastic rectangular piece against the side that has several lines going down and that the piece fits in the groove of the glass display.

The rest should be the above steps in reverse and you can't really put anything wrong since it fits one way.

Well i hope this helps people. If i have said anything incorrectly just lit me know. I didn't the technical name to all the componets so i hope you understand.

awesome. thanks bud

Back