• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cougar Pics

RodneyBur

CEG'er
Just wanted to share some pics of my 3.0 cougar with you guys. Everyone here was a big help. Thanks.

Cross posted on NECO.

I got some pics fresh of photobucket thanks to Tiffany. I go through a quick version of the story behind the car for those of you who don't know it, which is almost everyone on the site.

I picked the car up around April of 2005 from another member. I'm sure some of you remember his name, but I can't seem to remember it. Anyway I paid 500 for the shell and a friend of mine drove up in his explorer and towed it back from Mass using a tow bar. Yeah that was a hell of a trip to make in two days.

Picture of engine build are here

I got it back and parked it while gathering the parts for the build. I started stock piling parts while researching the build and looking for a good 3.0. In May 2006 I came across a 2002 3.0 w/ ~45K that was up near Columbus at LKQ for 200 on ebay. I just couldn't pass up that price and immediately sent the payment. I drove up a few days later in my beater MX3 and had them toss the engine in the hatch and drove it back. The engine probably weighed as much as my car and the people at LKQ probably thought I was nuts. I also got some strange looks at the gas station as people walked buy the MX3 while the engine was popping up in the hatch window. What do I care right?

I started the tear down a few weeks later. I decided to spend time from work, after tax season, on getting the car running and looking the way I wanted it to. I spent several weeks building the engine which included about 5-6 trips to different unkyards gathering missing parts and replacing worn components. It took several more weeks to get the engine in since I had to buy several big ticket items that I didn't immediately have the cash for. So around June or early July I finally got it in and running. A few minor clutch problems caused me to yank it back out which I put off for about a month after it was running.

I've slowly started getting everything the way I want it and am nearing completion. I still have alot of polishing to do since I want to get the GT TB and UIM looking like the valve covers. I've also got a lot of small things to do to the engine bay to make it look a little better. Mostly I just want to get it running good which is taking a while since the car was used and it seems like I'm replacing every damn thing that was on the car when I got it. I think I've worked on this thing nearly every single weekend for the past 6 months at least, so it is definately time consuming.

Anyway, enjoy the pictures and feel free to ask any questions but remember there is still a lot of small **** to be done.

Ohh and I'm sure one of the biggest questions is how much everything cost. Well I'm not sure exactly but I think total for everything including the car is around 5k maybe a little more. The hours I put it in though...... don't even think bout it.

untitledjhj.jpg

2002_04160013.jpg

untitled.jpg

untitled45.jpg

2002_04160011.jpg

untitled459.jpg

untitled856.jpg

LOL.... I was trying to show the reflection off the valve covers. I just grabbed what I had and since I always seem to have a cigaretter in my hand I used that.

interesting paint..

ST-200 badge = rice...

Duratec badge = sexy

Big tach = unnecessary.

engine looks sexy.

I like that paint job on the car, reminds me of the guitar that Eddie Van Halen played, but I'll never under stand this, especially when the car has one from the factory:shrug:
2002_04160016.jpg

interesting paint..

ST-200 badge = rice...

Duratec badge = sexy

Big tach = unnecessary.

engine looks sexy.

I didn't put the ST200 badge on there and am contemplating trying to remove it. I'm afraid of the possibility of paint stripping off and also have really been too busy doing other things to give it a try. Hopefully I'll remeber to give it a try this weekend. I'll post some before pics to show how much other crap I've actually stipped off the car, somehow the badge keeps evading me. Probably because its in the back and I'm always under the hood.

As far as the tach, I like it alot. It is a hell of a lot more accurate than the ****ty stock tach. Revs increase faster and fall faster and are more in tune with the engine. It also has a shift light on it which helps when banging through the gears. I bought it used so didn't really have the option to get a smaller one. Anyone that has seen a aftermarket tach in comparison with the stock will understand how much better the aftermarket reads.

The rear rims are actually off the front which is why there is so much brake dust on them. I just had the tires installed a couple days before the pics were taken. I was so busy the day before installing new ball joints and mirko RSTB and some other things that I didn't have time to give them a good cleaning.

Heres some before pics. I can't begin to fathom the amount of HP I lost when removing all the stickers that were on the car. They were every where. The interior was in shambles but don't have any pics of it. It didn't have seats, radio, speakers, and all the wiring was cut up as was the stock dash pieces and center console. All of it was replaced and I spent days soldering and fixing the wiring as well as installing the stock radio and harness. Noone has mentioned it but I removed the aftermarket wing and did my best with the holes and dents that were left behind. I used bolts to and plastic washers to keep the water out of my hatch. Thats what is on the top of the hatch.

image061hm.jpg

This is how I got the car home just over a year ago. Long tow from Mass to Ohio.

image040js.jpg

image074qg.jpg

A shot of the car as it sat when I got it.

dsc000264vz.jpg

Last edited:
I will 2nd the fact that the OEM Tach is too slow. On roads like the Dragon you my autometer Tach was much more accurate.

Its painfully obvious how slow the OEM tach is... Just with a slight blip of the throttle the OEM tach will lag by .5 seconds.

Back