• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Problem w/ 1157 led tail lights

Ifordman98

CEG'er
I just bought 1157 led tail lights from advaced auto for $20 and they dont work right. They only work fine when i put my hazards on, and when i brake. When i put my blinkers on (either one) They blink fast, as if one of the lights were out. Is this weird or am i just an idiot?

you need an electronic flasher if you want them to work properly. advance auto should have one in stock that fits the contour.

you undo 3 screws on the bottom of the steering column shroud. it should be right there on the drivers side. just pull it out and insert the new one.

Hey Thanks alot! I also wanted to know if it wll effect he sidemarkers im going to install?
it will effect the flashing of all 4 corners. they will flash the same no matter what bulbs or how much resistance is in the circuit. if you have a bulb out it will still flash the same pace.

it will effect the flashing of all 4 corners. they will flash the same no matter what bulbs or how much resistance is in the circuit. if you have a bulb out it will still flash the same pace.
Sweet I gotta get one of them!

I just bought one of those flashers from Advance Auto Parts for my EMT grille lights. The one I got doesn't have a bulb out indicator. $4; the one pictured will run you around $14.

The LED tails don't have enough resistance for the circuit to "think" that a bulb is connected. I wish I knew the resistance needed, but I'm not that smart, cuz you could just pick up some itsy bitsy resistors and wire them right in...

I had the same thing happen. At auto zone they sell load balancers that you can wire right in and it fixes the fast blinking. So you CAN fix it by adding more RESISTANCE to the circuit contrary to popular belief. Sure you have to wire them in, but they are cheaper : ) You don't really have to worry too much about the rating... I have had 0 problems with them and they have been on there for over 3 years.

My options are limited to either splicing in a resistor (posibly a diode?) or buying an electronic flaher. How much do the load balancers run for?

Last edited:
IIRC load resistors from superbrightleds.com were 12 for the pair. As someone earlier mentioned they make the circuit think that there is a filament bulb instead of the LED, because filaments draw more power than an LED. They use splice connectors to splice into the wiring by the housing where the bulb mounts. Mount them inside away from anything that is heat sensitive (they heat up really hot). I had the same bulb problem last fall when I got my 1157 led's from that website and the load resistors fixed it.

I went with electronic flasher because advanced did not know what i was talking about. The one i bought did not fix the problem...Do they make a flasher without a bulb out indicator?

Back