• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I have a delima! I need some help!

smokespeed

CEG'er
I have a very hard decision to make. I have always been the fan of the tour and the accord. I have loved the contour since I first drove one way back when in 2000. I finally picked one up last year it's a 97 lx duratec w/94k. I have put in about 1700 in it because i had a earl schieb paint job, new motor mounts and roll restrictors, p/s pump and just other minor things. My delima is I now have the oppurtunity to get a 97 accord 4cyl, the car belongs to my mom and she is the second owner. It has like 130k miles and was very well taken care. it is all stock and up to date on maitnance. The main reason I want it is because it is a 5-speed, I love the way the vtech sounds and the accord has soooooo many aftermarket parts and assessories available. I just dont know what to do. I love both cars and with I could keep both of them but I also have a 06 Altima and I know i cannot handle 3 cars ie maitnance, insurance, gas, and aftermaket parts. What should I do

As a Ford fanatic who enjoys his Contour SVT tremendously, I vote that you keep the Contour. I think I'm allergic to Hondas and Toyotas. :)

even though this is a contour board, i would say go with the accord. if you're going to be putting aftermarket parts into a car, thats the car to go with. there are soo many performance options for them. most of the stuff for contours are either custom, or verrry expensive

Well it depends, do you want to drive a car that actually feels like you're driving a car (Contour) or do you want one that feels closer to driving an appliance? You want a 5-speed, is your contour ATX? If so I'd say you could get rid of yours and get an MTX 'tour and have way more fun. You are right about the aftermarket though and those are just my personal opinions on both, in the end do what's best for you, you don't need people on a Contour forum to tell you to keep the Contour if you really want the Accord.

I'd get the Accord. I love that generation - plus a friend of mine has a '96 that is pretty much bulletproof. He has expressed an interest in upgrading but is waiting till this car dies first, which by the looks of it will be never (has had it since 2001).

You will miss the acceleration of the Duratec though, even with an ATX. But even so, the fact that it's a 5speed more than makes up the difference.

The Accord will last forever with proper maintenance and it actually HAS a resale value. To me, its a no brainer.

Plus, I'm confident Honda will be in business next year. Ford, I'm no so sure about.

...Ford, I'm no so sure about.

Man, that's cold. And so completely unfounded. I look forward to sitting back a few years from now, enjoying a cigarette and a snifter of fine cognac, when someone asks me, "Were you worried about Ford's recovery?"

Taking a smooth draft off the cigarette, I'll say, "Not for a moment."

Back