• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

first shot at HDR

BrApple

No Life But CEG
just picked up a new digital camera, a Sony DSC-W55 and a tripod. I also used Photomatrix Pro to create the images

mystique1.jpg

contour1.jpg

contour2.jpg

contour3.jpg

contour4.jpg

contour5.jpg

contour6.jpg

contour7.jpg

contour8.jpg

needs more high res, and tone mapping.

hey brapple, wanna do me a favor and send me the originals? i want to play with them a little myself for HDR, if you dont mind.

needs more high res, and tone mapping.

hey brapple, wanna do me a favor and send me the originals, i want to play with them a little myself if you would be so kind.

I did tone map them ... the original generated image wasn't any good as it was, once a tone mapping was applied it was better but I didn't play with it to much.

I need to play with them some more. Actually some of the original pics where better imho but the background was washed out.

original pics where at 7.2 megapixal ...

whats your email address?

I did tone map them ... the original generated image wasn't any good as it was, once a tone mapping was applied it was better but I didn't play with it to much.

I need to play with them some more. Actually some of the original pics where better imho but the background was washed out.

original pics where at 7.2 megapixal ...

whats your email address?

E-mail = SiasJJ@gmail.com

I suppose I should add that I got the photos by adjusting the exposure, I was able to go plus/minus 2 with the camera, used a low ISO setting and let the camera do the rest.

Try shooting with the headlights off next time. The camera will pick up more of the details and of the car and they will be less noisy.

Not a bad first attempt! :cool:

I suppose I should add that I got the photos by adjusting the exposure, I was able to go plus/minus 2 with the camera, used a low ISO setting and let the camera do the rest.

that would explain how little variation there is in light.

HDR really should be +3 all the way down to -3 light exposure. and 6 different images all the way through the spectrum, makes for crazy good results.

well this is a big beginners effort here. I got the camara sunday night and was just tring it out after I read up alittle on HDR.

So my question is would a high or low ISO setting be better? I read one site that said low was better. Also should I try taking 6 photos? The camera is adjustable between minus 2 and plus 2 for exposure.

Lastly I think that they could be better if I tried using the night setting on the camera. I have to try more of the options out once the rain clears out.

anyway this was my first one I tried before dinner last night.

original with zero exposure setting
DSC03719.JPG

the HDR I put together
DSC03718_19_20.jpg

also to compare

original
DSC03741.JPG

HDR
contour1.jpg

original
DSC03747.JPG

HDR
contour5.jpg

Last edited:
I like the original car pics better.
I don't like how yellow the lighting gets in the HDR pics.

I agree, but I do like how the background is more visible. I really need to go back and play with the tone mapping after I do some more reading about the process. It would have been really nice but it had rained earlier and it was really cloudy.

Lowest ISO results in the least amount of noise or grain. Camera's use the higher ISO sensitivity setting to take "better" pictures in low light. While you may see more at a high ISO setting in a dark situation, you also usually get noise, or depending on the camera, weird artifacts that result from in-camera noise reduction.

I would assume for HDR, you would always want to use the lowest ISO setting, but considering your sony has a limited amount of exposure adjustment, you might want to crank the ISO a bit during your longer exposure pics.

Just my 2 cents.

I like Sony's cams. For the money they're pretty good point-and-shoots. I'm a Canon man myself. Their Powershot line, while being a little bigger than most cameras, have a huge amount of manual control. My A710is can take exposures as long as 12 or 15 seconds...one of the two.

Example:
I believe this was a 10second exposure, this was probably taken around 3am as I'm always up at 3am.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/funnyclowndeath/IMG_0119-1.jpg

This was a handheld shot. 200 or 400 ISO IIRC. I just trying to take a picture of the clouds. If you look closely, you can see a definite grain to the picture.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/funnyclowndeath/IMG_0111-1.jpg

I like Sony's cams. For the money they're pretty good point-and-shoots. I'm a Canon man myself. Their Powershot line, while being a little bigger than most cameras, have a huge amount of manual control. My A710is can take exposures as long as 12 or 15 seconds...one of the two.

yes I was very happy with my last Sony camera so I decided to go with the same. I wasn't purchasing specifically to take HDR photos, I would love a SLR but I don't take enough photos/to expensive, but since the camera is adjustable enough to do it I figured I would try it out.

I like the original car pics better.
I don't like how yellow the lighting gets in the HDR pics.

I really do agree on this one. Although the HDR ones are more highly detailed I wish the colors were better on it. Oh well, I'm sure you'll have them looking better really soon anyways :).

Back