• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I have an issue...

cnewton44

Hard-core CEG'er
Clutch chatter...
I thought it was the timing chains but I noticed lately when I push the clutch about half way in it stops... Anybody that can tell me what this is?

Thanks ahead of time.:cool:

Clutch Throwout bearing, possibly. My old LeBaron had and my sister's Mystique sometimes has that noise.

I'll buy it then. :) I love your car.
Well I mean, realisticaly a new clutch is anywhere from 700-1000 bucks right? And besides that you have to drop the engine right? I know some about the mechanics but not enough I dont think.:shrug:

How long will it last like this and what will happen if I just let it go?

Well I mean, realisticaly a new clutch is anywhere from 700-1000 bucks right? And besides that you have to drop the engine right? I know some about the mechanics but not enough I dont think.:shrug:

How long will it last like this and what will happen if I just let it go?

How many miles are on your car. I really can't predict when your clutch will go out, but when it does, I am here for you. :) Where are you located anyways? Your symptoms may not have anything to do with the sounds of a clutch failure. You may have more life left in that than you think.

I think if the throwout bearing is going bad and you let it go too long, won't it damage the transmission's input shaft, scarring it up?

How many miles are on your car. I really can't predict when your clutch will go out, but when it does, I am here for you. :) Where are you located anyways? Your symptoms may not have anything to do with the sounds of a clutch failure. You may have more life left in that than you think.
Im just coming up on 96k. I wouldnt think it would be the clutch but I dont know what else it would be. Espescially when it goes away when the clutch is in.

I am in Minnesota. Duluth spcifically. If you wanna come and take out the clutch to see whats wrong, that would be great.:D

One day when I have the money I will get a spec clutch but thats when I have the money. Could be a while.:laugh:

You can just get a stock SVT clutch if you don't need anything crazy. The one I put in the Cougar was $268.24 + tax from Steve at Tousley, comes with the new Throwout bearing, disc, pressure plate, and alignment tool. :cool: You don't need to remove the engine to replace the clutch. You can lower one side of the subframe to squeak the tranny out.

There could be absolutely nothing wrong with it. Clutches chatter from day one sometimes. I'd just keep an ear out for it, if it's not getting any worse I wouldn't get all worked up about it.

Both of my tours have had clutch chatter...and both of them are still great. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Back