• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery Problem

lunaru

New CEG'er
Hi to all, and hope someone can help me on my sad history.:cry:

Let start, I bought my 97 v6 contour on last december from my brother. He had just replaced the alternator due to a charging problem, but I start noticed that some days the car didn'nt start; it just made the classic "click,click,clik" noise when your battery is dead.:crazy:

After taking to a local dealer, the problem was an old battery.But some weeks later it made the same problem So, I checked the battery terminal just clean it and buala..it started without problem.:shrug:

This morning when I tried to go work, the car didn't :censored: start; I tryed cleaning the terminals again but it didn't helps anyway. :mad: :mad:

I have never had the battery light on, just when putting the key in the ON position and after starting it didn't shows problem.

Any idea on this problem...A fuse, a ground, the wiring a loos connection?:confused:

start simple..

use a voltmeter to check battery power at the battery terminals with the car off.. it SHOULD be at 12.0V or higher.

if not, charge the battery with a trickle charger, or swap it for a known good one.

now start the car.

check the battery voltage again while the car is running.. should be 13.2-14.2 Vdc. You MUST have a FULLY charged battery when doing this test. Simply getting a jump start then testing the voltage will prove incorrect. If your voltages are not in this range, suspect alternator, wiring between it (including megafuse) and the battery, or a poor ground (at the alternator or battery)

Turn the headlights on and turn the car off.. leave it for 60 seconds, and recheck the voltage.. should be back to 12.0 Vdc or higher.. if not, suspect battery.

I'll check this

I'll check this

Yesterday I took the battery for a recharge at AZ they told me the battery was ok.

So, at this point I'm thinking I have a problem with the charging system. I will check the points you mentioned this afternoon. Btw, the MEGAFUSE is located at the relays black box next to the battery, right ?

Thanks for your info.

Done !!!!

Done !!!!

Hi to all,

Finally I got My problem solved. I cut the wires from the alternator and replace it with new ones as shown in other threads, also I replace the Mega Fuse and now I have not this problem any more.

Thanks to all for the support!!!!

Back