• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rear subframe bending from floor jack

98TredSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I placed my floorjack under the rear subframe as much to the side where there wasn't the square hole, and it still manages to push it in a little bit. Is this normal? It's pretty rusty and I try not to use it but I don't really have a place to jack it up from the rear anymore cause it's too low to get my jack under the side now. Think it's time for the upgraded BAT rear subframe? I hope not.

You might want to look into the subframe connectors that will give you a whole bunch of jacking points that don't involve the subframe.

A million jack points on the side of the car under the stock ground effects. Why would anyone need to go close to the S.F.?

FWIW you can jack the rear up by the tow hooks as well.

Last edited:
i wasn't able to slid the jack under the side skirts, but it would fit under the rear bumper, and I didn't have a 2x4 available to drive up on, but I will get one and used the points under the side skirts from now on...

A million jack points on the side of the car under the stock ground effects. Why would anyone need to go close to the S.F.?

Sorry Todd, don't mean to be picky, aren't there only two points along there that are reinforced ?...

FWIW you can jack the rear up by the tow hooks as well.

That seems like a good idea, but I've seen a Cougar come tumbling down when the tow ring folded. Not pretty. Lucky nobody was hurt.

Never had a tow hook bend. Along the side I use the uni-body rails and the "pinch seam" as well. Use the pinch seam in areas where the uni-body rails are weaker.

orig.jpg

Be careful when jacking on smooth subframe connectors . . . I've seen cars slide off the jack . . .

I'm new to Contours and have a 98 SVT. I need to replace the front and read rotors/pads as well as replace a leaking power steering line. So I was looking at the car yesterday trying to figure out where to jack the car up from and still be able to put the car on jack stands.

Since I don't see anywhere real stable to lift either the entire front or entire rear from, is it possible to place the jack in the middle of the side frame rail and lift one entire side at a time, place the jack stand in the stock jack points and repeat on the opposite side?

For entire front just place it in the center of the front of the front subframe. Just behind the bumper. If you can't jack a car from an engine subframe then it needs to go in the trash. LOL!

ok, but what about lifting the entire rear?

I'm not sure about the rear tow hooks since it seems 50/50 for those who have tried and I dont really want to be apart of the 50% that have the tow hooks bend on them.

Jack one rear side at a time following that pic I already posted and the discussion this thread is all about. :troutslap: Did you miss post #10?

no, I didn't miss it. no offense, but thats not a great picture either though. Maybe it's just me since I'm not yet familiar with the underside of my car but it's hard to see where that is.

Is that where the stock jack point is? where you remove the part of the side skirt to access it? If so, then how am I supposed to put a jack stand there if I'm using it to lift the car with the jack?

I'm not trying to be rude or be a pain, I'm just asking because I'm not completely clear on the subject :)

You can't tell that's the spare tire well and the gas tank? :troutslap: See those control arms? They don't go below the engine now do they. Print the picture off and look under the car.

Back