• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Zetec to Duratec swap...

BaggedContour

New CEG'er
Hi every one....

I blow my 4 cylinder engine with an automatic transmission in my contour 1995 and I want to know if it's hard to fit an V6 engine with automatic transmission too ??....What's the modification to do to fit or in general does it fit bolt-on ??? I can have a complete wrecked Contour 1995 v6 automatic the body is wrecked but the engine is in very good shape so why not take the engine to put in mine.

anyway I just want to know some information about that swap and if you can give me good advices to make the swap more easy.

thanks very much I appreciate it!

see you

easy answer, buy one with a V6 in it ...

hard answer, just about everything that the engine touches so the engine, trans, wiring harnesses, pcm, subframe, mounts, etc ...

well since he would have a donner car with a v6 and trans im sure it could be done. however it will be way easier and possibly cheaper to just buy a v6 with a good body and transfer whatever you want off your zetec (suspension) to the v6.

well since he would have a donner car with a v6 and trans im sure it could be done. however it will be way easier and possibly cheaper to just buy a v6 with a good body and transfer whatever you want off your zetec (suspension) to the v6.

Except the suspension (springs and struts) have differnet spring rates to compensate for the heavier Duratech. Ask Kim about her experience with putting V6 springs in her Zetec.

Except the suspension (springs and struts) have differnet spring rates to compensate for the heavier Duratech. Ask Kim about her experience with putting V6 springs in her Zetec.

Seeing that his username is 'baggedcontour' I'm guessing he has airbags, which might mean he's already done a fair amount of fabrication to his existing car.

You're in for tons of work....good luck!

Yeah like you said, I got an air suspension on my contour so the weight of the engine doesn't mind. I found a complete contour with the v6 engine for very cheap so I was curious if it's easy to put the v6. But I don't care I will just put another little 4 cylindre , anyway I don't do speed I'm just cruisin'....so I don't need the power of the v6.

so thanks very much for the advices...I really appreciate it!

see ya

I got it all

I got it all

Ok, I got a complete SVT with a munched rear end from a juunk yard. They said that they have had it for 2 days and that no one has even looked at it yet. So, seeing how I have everything (even what is around the engine), can it be done? Also, would I have to weld and cut my engine bay apart?

Thanks

No cutting and welding I don't think unless maybe going from auto to manual and need room for the shifter. It's just a ton of swapping stuff. ECU, wiring harnesses, subframe, trans, engine, vacuum lines, more wires, motor mounts, etc. I think Russell-3L is one of the few that have done an auto to manual swap (he did already have a v6).

Actually, if you have a complete donor, the swap wouldnt be totally fruitless. You could basically drop the subframes on both cars, with engine, trans, etc. attached, and swap. Of course, there is more to it than that, but if you have a donor you will have the wiring, ecu, etc. to swap as well. It will still be a PITA, but easier than putting it together piece by piece.

what wiring would he have to do if he has the whole donor car? the purpose of the donor car is to pull everything u need off of it and put on the other car.

just keep the engien harness connected to the motor, and pull the harness from the interior, and leave everything connected as possible. tahts the key when swapping from aa donor car. The less u take off from the donor motor/tranny the easier it is to change over. i havent worked on a contour like that before, but ive done alot of swaps.. and a donor car is almost foolproof, because u have everything u need.

By wiring I meant the harness. Not actually rewiring anything by hand, but pulling all the needed electrical from the other car and running it in yours.

Back