• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mobile one?

hova15

CEG'er
okay so i swapped for the mobil one synth tranny oil- and it made it way worse- its way harder to shift! is this normal? i thought itd be easier- i couldnt find the redline mtl and ideas on wewre to get that? is it that much better?

There are a few different opinions out there on the manual trans fluid. I like to use Ford parts whenever possible, and this is a case in point. I believe there to be no better fluid than the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS full synthetic. Use it, and you know that you're doing the right thing for your car. It's pricey, but $20 a quart beats the shifting you've got now. You'll only need 2.1 or so quarts (maybe a little more) depending on year. :cool:

Have your local parts store order some up.

From what I have read on this, Mobil 1 tranny fluid is horrid for these cars for some reason. Stick with Royal Purple or Motorcraft.

okay awsome ill try it out- i tryed it cause i couldnt find redline MTL, and on the FAQ it said to try mobile one...bad call. thanks guys ill get some tomorrow

Stay away from RedLine MTL. The longest thread ever for CEG involved problems with MTL sludging up and blocking the lube channels for the spyder shafts leading to severe trans failure.

You didn't say which Mobil 1 you used. Mobil 1 ATF with 2 oz of Ford XL3 friction modifier is a reasonable fluid for that trans although there are better choices.

on my old 93 bmw 325i people recommended if your trans synchros were worn to try shock fluid, real heavy weight, but that you had to change it every couple thousand miles because it lost its viscosity real quick. I don't understand why some stuff works good in a manual trans and doesn't in the next manual trans, seems to me like they are all very simliar internally.

I made the switch to Royal Purple from Redline MTL about a year and a half ago, and it's night and day.

It shifts like butter and doesn't give me trouble in the colder weather like Redline did.

Back