• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help with wheel stud

stadtsoldat

CEG'er
Wasn't quite sure what forum to put this in, suspension, brakes, or wheels & tires, but here goes...

Was rotating my tires today, and ran into a problem with the front driver side wheel. One of the lug nuts was just spinning, with a little bit of force. Like it definitely was not loosening. Spun it, spun it, spun it, nothing. Upon further inspection from the back side, it seems the stud the lug nut attaches to is spinning in the back. Apparently these are pressed in, I'm not quite sure how they hold still, but this one has come undone. I cannot get the lug nut off, not even with an air compressor, and am at a loss as to what to do, or what even a shop would do. Any suggestions? Anyone know what a shop would do? My dad was brainstorming about possibly taking it all off from the backside, control arm, CV joint, strut, everything, and then maybe drilling it out. I have no idea. Any advice? Anyone ever experience this?

just a thought but can you grab the backside end with vice grips or anything? That might hold it well enough to get it loose

That's a real problem-at least getting it out. Once you've figured out how you're going to do so (grind from the back side?) you'll need to get a Windstar stud which uses a larger spline. The Windstar studs are also slightly longer but that won't pose a problem. I know as my big brake kit requires longer studs and I used the Windstar studs in 1 hub.

Good luck.

Cut the nut off (they sell nutbreakers at hardward stores), then remove the stud.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=picsvids&Number=1236410&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

guys i think his wheel might still be on there. Hence the problem with the spinning nut n lug. just in case this happens to be ur problem, wot i did when it happened to me wasnt pretty. i used on of those pressure guns with a blade on it to slice both the lug and nut in half. It took a while but it finally came off. Ur wheel probably isnt gonna look as nice as it was before u started this process... just to letchu know.

Yes it will work I have had to do that in the past. It is strong enough to hold the stud from spinning and you will still be able to knock it it out with a hammer.

I had one spin on the front passenger side. What I did was pulled on the wheel, and try turning the lug. It might put enough pressure on the stud to hold it in place while trying to get it off.

Well, the vice grip idea didn't work. It just spun right out of the vice grips every time. And yes, the wheel is still on the car. It is hard to get access in the back there. We don't have a welder, and I don't have any friends who do either. So spot welding it isn't an option. Right now we're thinking about trying to drill it out from the back, which should be considerably easier with the wheel turned out. Trying to avoid cutting the lug nut in half from the front, I want my wheels to look decent when I'm done! But if it comes down to it, I might try that as well. As for pulling the wheel out to put some pressure on the stud, I don't see that working, but it is worth giving a shot first.

Thanks for everyones input! If you have another idea, I'm open to opinions!

if you can get to the back of the stud to drill it out why not just take a punch and hammer it back into the hole? :shrug: unless of course the "splines" are stripped on it.

I had one spin on the front passenger side. What I did was pulled on the wheel, and try turning the lug. It might put enough pressure on the stud to hold it in place while trying to get it off.

try this one. it workd for me before. If not, u're probably gonna have to cut through it like i earlier suggested. honestly, if u're careful, not much damage is done to the wheel. to prevent this from happening again, stay away form the autozone n checkers lugs and nuts. Very low quality. U might also wanna take all ur wheels off n put them back once in a while. hopefully u get it off.

When I had to spot weld the rear of the stud on my car the wheel was still on. Next step is to get a torch and blow it out,but I would def. try and get a welder from somebody though.

Back