• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Suspension creaks, growns, moans, and other assorted annoying noises

ck42

CEG'er
I'm starting to get more and more suspension noise and think I might be ready to start looking into replacing some stuff to fix it.

Are there any write-ups for this or is there a list somewhere that outlines all the various possible bushings and stuff that should be replaced?

Chris

This seems to be a big day for suspension discussion. Here's a good list that will get you started:

Strut mounts (4)
Struts (4)
Lower control arms (front left and right -- comes with bushing and ball joint)
Sway bar end links (4)
Sway bar bushings (4)

After that, you should experience a much tighter, much quieter ride. I'm a big fan of doing all this crap at once, as it cuts labor.

For the record, the list above assumes that you haven't done much or any undercar work to date.

I've done all that stuff, and then some, and my car drives like a million dollars.

If you're gung ho, you can do subframe and rear control arm bushings, though they may not be necessary at this point.

Enjoy! :cool:

Sway bar end links are the #1 reason for klanks and klunks, get all 4 new ones and start there.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The ride is still pretty good. The issue I'm really wanting to address is more with the creaking type noises. I'm guessing that these are due to various bushings needing replacing.
I really don't want to start getting into replacing control arms, struts and such $$
What would be the least expensive/easiest things to start replacing FIRST? I'll start there and work my way down the list.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The ride is still pretty good. The issue I'm really wanting to address is more with the creaking type noises. I'm guessing that these are due to various bushings needing replacing.
I really don't want to start getting into replacing control arms, struts and such $$
What would be the least expensive/easiest things to start replacing FIRST? I'll start there and work my way down the list.

In that case, Alias' advice is good. Do the sway bar end links and sway bar bushings on each side, front and rear, then see where you're at. The parts are cheap, and the labor is not a big deal. You'll be out the door for short money.

Call Steve at Tousley Ford to order the parts -- 800-328-9552. :cool:

In that case, Alias' advice is good. Do the sway bar end links and sway bar bushings on each side, front and rear, then see where you're at. The parts are cheap, and the labor is not a big deal. You'll be out the door for short money.

Call Steve at Tousley Ford to order the parts -- 800-328-9552. :cool:

I would suggest batinc.net instead. the parts are a little cheaper there, and IMO better quality.

Back