• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

special tools needed?

elraido

I kant speel
Ok I have the ford cd from todd and I am looking at changing out the struts and springs on the SVT. Looking at the instructions it states that I need special tools blah and blah...do I really need them?

only thing I would say is a lot of extensions, I have one 24" extension, makes taking the two bolts at the top of the rear wheel well cake. You could probably get away with like a combination of 18" though.

Rough estimate for time to complete the front two for someone doing this for the first time? Looks straight forward and I have done things more tough than this (tranny swap in a stang). I will be doing the rear ones most likely a week or so after. And I am guessing I should also bring it in to have an alignment check....right?

yes you should have an alignment done after ...

took my father and I four hours per "axle", we took our time on everything

now if you are aircougar who has some tricks and has done this a few times you can have the strut assembly out in about 20 minutes ... :crazy:

yes you should have an alignment done after ...

took my father and I four hours per "axle", we took our time on everything

now if you are aircougar who has some tricks and has done this a few times you can have the strut assembly out in about 20 minutes ... :crazy:

I doubt I could use a cutting torch and get them off in 20 min. :laugh:

About 3-7 hours for a newb

I can do 99% of the contours in less than 1.5 hours for all 4

20min? How many smoke brakes? My plasma torch will have em out before you can get your tanks turned on and the torched dialed in :laugh:

thats why everything takes me so long. i have a smoke break every 15mins. its almost like I'm triggered to do so by working on a car.

took me a few days but i took all the time I needed because I took mine apart before the parts came. Also now that all my bolts have been broken loose the first time, which was a major pain breaking them loose(biggest time consumer) and I have anti sieze on some of them now, I could do it way faster. Also its much easier if you know someone at a shop or just pay a shop to use a spring compressor that is bench mounted instead of the cheesy ones you can rent(didn't work for me).

I thought you didn't need a spring compressor for these cars.....I thought I read that someplace....then again I am most likly wrong

I thought you didn't need a spring compressor for these cars.....I thought I read that someplace....then again I am most likly wrong

to get the assembly out of the car, not you don't need spring compressors, to take the assembly apart you do

My first time took about 6 hours for all 4. Next one's were about the same. Justin's just sucked, too many little hold ups, and too many brain farts. :laugh:

Back