• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water in passenger rear turn signal.

protege_chris

CEG'er
I was checking out the tour this morning, going on a trip tomorrow.

Got an oil changed, washed her, new air filter, topped everything off, etc.. and noticed my right rear blinker doesn't work...

looked, and the bulb is blown.. but there's 2 or 3 inches of water in the housing for the turn signal.. how do I take this off to empty it, and what's the bulb #?

There's three screws that hold in the housing. Unscrew these and it should just pop right out. The best way to fix your leak in the housing is to take off the lens, scrape off the old sealant, and reseal it with some silicone sealer (only seal it while it is exposed in DRY conditions, to keep from future constant condensation). The cheap and easy fix is to drill a hole in the corner on the bottom of the housing so the water drains out. And the bulb is just a generic tail bulb. It can be had at any auto parts store. Just ask them and they will tell you, because I forget off hand :shrug:

I'm in the same boat as you with my mysitque, except theres water in my right reverse light. If I replace the bulb its gonna blow again and it sucks that every time I open the trunk after a good rain, water comes pouring out :cry:

Drill a tiny hole at the bottom and you won't have to deal with it again. Speaking from experience. :laugh:

Drill a tiny hole at the bottom and you won't have to deal with it again. Speaking from experience. :laugh:

this will work, works well on the center reflector also. You can and most likely should use some kind of sealant on the seal of the light. Over the years the seal will get compressed and when it is diturbed it will not seal right again.

I had the same problem and put a bead of RTV silicone on the bulb housing to body seal. Leaks reappeared a few months later (the seal material is worn out so the water seems to go thru it), so I also put a bead of silicone where the external part of the housing meets the body (top of housing under the trunk lid). Kinda hard to explain, so If you'd like I'll take a cellphone pic and post it.

This did the trick.

A pic would help. I just spent an hour cleaning out my trunk. Everything near the back was damp and smelled bad. I started trying to seal where the housing meets the trunk on the outside but it looked bad so I stopped. Gotta clean it up tomorrow in daylight. But yes a pic please!:laugh:

xtascox,

I've attached a pic. Open your trunk and look down at the pass side rear tail light for this view. The RTV silicone (from arrow to arrow) keeps water out of the tail light assy. Excess water flows over it and down thru the bumper.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• SVT tail light RTV.JPG
    SVT tail light RTV.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
Back