• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Passenger Clunking...AGAIN! Quick question!

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
I replaced my Rear Sway bar a couple weeks ago and it fixed the super loud clunking that was coming from the sway bar hitting metal during most bumps.

Now I still have clunking in the Rear Passenger area... I believe it to be the Strut or obviously the way its mounted... Probably not tightened or got loose!

I know there is a Nut on the strut tower on the inside of the trunk! Dont know if thats what I should be tightening or not! Also what size is the bolt!

Is there any other things I should check or I may have to tighten to while Im in the trunk and my car is up in the air??? What sizes are those bolts?

Thanks In Advance!:eek:

- amyn

You might have a blown strut. Lift up the boot cover on it and see if theres any oil on it. Also try pushing down the car where its clunking and see if it comes back up right away and compare it to the other side. If there is oil or it doesnt pop right back up, chances are you have a blown strut. They're not too hard to replace. I've replaced both of my rear ones and both made annoying clunking noises when they were blown. You should probably do new springs if you are doing a new strut.

Ya i know wut ur saying.... My sway bar mounts were originally torn apart! It may have done some more dmg to that area as it took me a minute to fix that. So once i fixed that i still hear this strut or sumthing.... GOSH!!!!!

Def will do when i get the chance after tomorrow... anything else I should look for while im down there?

- amyn

...Def will do when i get the chance after tomorrow... anything else I should look for while im down there?

- amyn
Remove everything from trunk (including tire, tire iron and jack). It could be one of those items. :shrug:

good point. wouldn't that suck to buy new struts only to find out you have some tools rolling around the trunk!!:laugh:

Back