• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

svt contour just shuts down on highway...

mrfatride

CEG'er
i was driving yesterday down the highway and all of a sudden the car just shuts down...no sputtering, no weird noises just shuts down....thought it might have been out of gas seeing it was low (was heading to a gas station) put some gas in it...it cranks but wont fire.....any ideas? fuel pump???

Might be a lot of things.

You'll need to do some troubleshooting work that doesn't include hanging parts on the car.

To find out if it's your fuel pump or anything related to it, connect a pressure gauge to the system and see if you have the proper pressure.

Steve

well the car sat for a few days and fired up today so obviously the fuel pump is working...possible it could be the fuel filter....where would that be located at?

good deal i will check that out next and see if that fixes my problem...i filled it up today and drove it for like 60 miles and it ran completely fine....

i was driving yesterday down the highway and all of a sudden the car just shuts down...no sputtering, no weird noises just shuts down....thought it might have been out of gas seeing it was low (was heading to a gas station) put some gas in it...it cranks but wont fire.....any ideas? fuel pump???

Pop the vents on your battery and check the water levels. Make sure they're not low.

Last edited:
When Chang had the car I know he had a crank position sensor issue. Don't think he changed the pump either. I know he had F.P. issues too.

With my talon I had a crank sensor issue. It sounds similar to what you have now. Car wouldn't start, let it sit of for a day then it would start right up. Drove me to sell it.

Back