• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Leak on drivers rear

97vulcan

CEG'er
I discovered this leak the other day when changing out my back pads on my SVT. I think its leaking from the metal long thing before the flex hose turns into hard line. What is this thing? and why is it leaking? Can I just replace the metal fitting? It doesn't look like my lines are damaged, nor from the pictures does it look like the rubber hose is leaking. Please help.:help: I have more pictures if necessary. Also this leak is on the passenger rear, not driver.

Thanks,
Adam

Attachments

• leak1.jpg
    leak1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
  • leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 0
That is a pressure reducing valve. It needs to be there or you will throw off brake front to rear balance. It is possible that the fittings are loose. To the best of my knowledge they don't give much trouble. Clean it up with brake clean, check for tightness, and keep an eye on it. After it is clean, you should be able to see where the leak is coming from and determine your course of action.

If you need to replace it, make sue you get one from an ABS equipped car. The non ABS uses a different part number.

I did clean it up with some brake clean, about 2 days ago, and this is what it looks like today. I didn't try to snug up the fitting, however this will be my first course of action. Does it look like it leaking from the pressure reducing valve? Does this go bad from time to time?

Adam

I can't tell anything more from those pictures. It does look like it needs to be cleaned better. Here in California it is uncommon for those things to leak. In salted road areas that could be different.

If it doesn't seal up from tightening the fittings you may need to replace it.

Big Jim,

I will clean it up better, then try to tighten it up. Here are a few pictures from my cell phone after I gave it a few blasts with some brake cleaner a few days ago. I think its leaking from the top fitting, then leaking down the fitting. Can I purchase this from my Ford dealership? Would I just ask for a pressure reducing valve with ABS?

Attachments

• brake leak rev.jpg
    brake leak rev.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • brake leak rev2.jpg
    brake leak rev2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
I went out and cleaned up the area real good. Turned on the car, and pumped the brake pedal a few times, and this is what I got. It looks like its leaking from the pressure valve thing. LOL. Where can I obtain one of these to replace my leaking one?

Thanks,
Adam

Attachments

• leak3.jpg
    leak3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 0
  • leak4.jpg
    leak4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
Do you see how much more you can tell after things get cleaned up?

It does look like the valve itself is leaking along the seam. You should be able to get it from the dealer unless the part has been discontinued. If the dealer can't supply it, post a request for one in the classified section here at CEG or look for some there that is posting that they are parting out an SVT. It might be a 98 SVT part only since it has bee reported that they went to a different system in either 99 or 00.

At the dealer, take the cell phone pictures with you and ask for the pressure reducing valve for the rear brakes for you 98 SVT. If he doesn't recognize the name, tell him it is the fitting thing where the steel line connects to the flex line for the rear brakes. If nothing else he should be able to identify it with a catalog picture.

So went to the local Ford dealership, guess how much they wanted for one of the pressure reducing valves??????? $145!?!?!?!?!?! I was like WTH??? I guess they figure its part of the braking system, so you need it if it fails. Well, I don't have that kind of money to spend on that componant right now, however if someone knows where I can get one for cheaper than that, please let me know!

Thanks,
Adam

So went to the local Ford dealership, guess how much they wanted for one of the pressure reducing valves??????? $145!?!?!?!?!?! I was like WTH??? I guess they figure its part of the braking system, so you need it if it fails. Well, I don't have that kind of money to spend on that componant right now, however if someone knows where I can get one for cheaper than that, please let me know!

Thanks,
Adam

Give a ring up to Steve at Tousley Ford in White Bear Lake, Minnesota -- 800-328-9552. I betcha he beats that price by a wide margin, and he'll ship it out to you in good season.

I know my car is leaking very little brake fluid from the pressure reducing valve, however I am wondering if air will get in through this valve? What do you guys think? I don't want to jam on my brakes in fear that I might rupture the valve. Is there a possibility that air will get in through the seam thats leaking on the valve?

Thanks,
Adam

I know my car is leaking very little brake fluid from the pressure reducing valve, however I am wondering if air will get in through this valve? What do you guys think? I don't want to jam on my brakes in fear that I might rupture the valve. Is there a possibility that air will get in through the seam thats leaking on the valve?

Thanks,
Adam

It's possible that you could have some exchange, but I doubt there'd be enough to amount to anything. If you were pulling in any amount of air through a break in the line under vacuum, the hole would be so big that the fluid would drain out of it with little help from you.

Last I knew, you were looking into replacing the valve, and that's probably a good way to go in the ultimate analysis. In the meantime, just keep an eye on your fluid level. The problem you've got does not point to the likelihood of an impending and sudden failure. Err on the side of caution and check the fluid regularly (the dash light is your friend, too), and you should be fine until you can get around to replacing the valve.

In the amount of time it takes for you to contact Steve and get the replacement, I doubt anything will happen. Just don't put it off forever.

Back