• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Header coating

header/exhaust pipe coating

header/exhaust pipe coating

VHT(stands for Very High Temperature) will protect your exhaust system from rusting, but not warping. It is a paint, in a spray can, that is designed to withstand the temperatures that are encountered in the exhaust system of an automobile. It has been around for a long time and works well for what it is. Just make sure that you clean off all loose rust and dirt, and get any oil/grease off the surfaces you plan to coat. Follow the directions on the can and you shouldn't have any problems.

VHT(stands for Very High Temperature) will protect your exhaust system from rusting, but not warping. It is a paint, in a spray can, that is designed to withstand the temperatures that are encountered in the exhaust system of an automobile. It has been around for a long time and works well for what it is. Just make sure that you clean off all loose rust and dirt, and get any oil/grease off the surfaces you plan to coat. Follow the directions on the can and you shouldn't have any problems.

So you think I'll be ok if i use it :shrug: Do you use it?

If used properly it's OK. If you don't clean things up properly first it does nothing but make a mess. I have used it. I have used it properly and improperly.

It is even better if you can cure it in an oven, but most of all, the surface must be CLEAN before applying.

How does this stuff hold up to flaking? How does it compare to other high temp paints available at auto-parts stores? I was planning on buying ceramic coated headers but certain events have recently transpired and I can only bring myself to buy raw ones now, but only if I can put a decent coating on them myself.

VHT

VHT

As far as I know, it is the original VHT paint. I don't know how it will compare to other paints, as I have never used them. I have never had any flaking or chipping, but I cleaned my headers immaculately and scrubbed them with Acetone before I applied it. Since I used black, I just let them bake in the sun for several hours rather than bake them in the oven before reinstalling. It will not be the same as ceramic coating them, but it will do very well for your budget, and you do have a nice choice of colors.

or you can just go get some high temp rustolium in BBQ black and spray it on without ANY prep.

I did that to my whole exhaust system over a year ago, looks flawless.

Back