• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

take front knuckle off for konis?

98TredSVT

Veteran CEG'er
I read multiple how-to's on here and none of them said to take the front knucke off. It would have be soo much easier to. Then it'd allow you to hammer in the strut. since the axle is attached, I'm worried It's going to get seperated interally, and I'm not sure, it may have already. How do you get the strut back in the front knucle while still being attached to the car? OR How do you get the axle nut loose which the knuckle flopping around?

all you do is separate the hub from the ball joint and then slide it off the strut. to install you install the strut assembly then the hub onto the strut and reconnect the ball joint ... don't touch the axle nut ...

actually I saw a spring swap done where the hub wasn't even disconnected from the ball joint or tierod end ...

if the strut is tight going in or out of the hub take a large screw drivers or some sort of wedge and open up the hub so the strut is easier to install/remove ...

also moving the hub up as far as possible on the strut will help get the ball joint in and out ...

i have never removed the ball joint, tierod, or axle when removing my suspension. never needed to. :shrug:

control arms are being replaced so those are already out....

so you need to bolt the struts in through the engine bay before you slide the hub onto them?

generally makes it easier yes. even if you dont torque it down just get the top nut on from the engine bay. normally you can then use a prybar on the LCA to lower the hub enough to slid the strut into the hub. since you dont have the LCAs in you just maneuver the hub and slide the strut in.

I got it all put together, it was a struggle but half of it was because I was so paranoid and worried of damaging the breakline because the whole knuckle/caliper/rotor was hanging by just those weak rubber brake lines a few times.

Back