• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Getting way more than 14V

Cris'pus

CEG'er
So i've read that the alternator MIGHT be the problem but I'm more thing the Voltage Regulator. Is this a part or does it mean the alternator as a whole must go?
Also, will changing the mega fuse by any means solve this, I checked it and my meter showed the infinity symbol and the Volts from the two terminals when connected to the neg battery showed around 17.

Chris

Hello. When the vehicle is running and you test the voltage at the battery terminals it should read around 14.4V, if you are getting a reading of around 17V that is way too high. I believe that 1995-1999 4cyl Contours have a replaceable voltage regulator which you can purchase at Advance Auto Parts etc... for around $40. 2000 and newer Contours use the PCM to regulate the alternator output voltage.

The 6cyl and 4cyl use the same exact Voltage regulator. 1995-1999 are replaceable voltage regulators. Look up your vehicle at www.partsamerica.com and check under replacement auto parts on the left side of the page. Go to subcategory alternators and the subcategory voltage regulators. Hope this helps.

Woops my bad, they do both have replaceable voltage regulators, the 4cyl and 6cyl 1995-1999 but they are DIFFERENT part numbers.

So i've read that the alternator MIGHT be the problem but I'm more thing the Voltage Regulator. Is this a part or does it mean the alternator as a whole must go?
Also, will changing the mega fuse by any means solve this, I checked it and my meter showed the infinity symbol and the Volts from the two terminals when connected to the neg battery showed around 17.

Chris

there is no way a battery can have 17 volts so overvoltage must be coming from the alternator and that means the fuse is good. If the fuse was bad the most you could get would be the battery voltage of about 12V.

erb13

Your alternator is going. i Had the same problem, the voltage regulator is not working right, so you have to replace the whole thing. DO IT BEFORE IT SHORTS OUT OTHER STUFF!

Change the VR if your alternator is in good condition. If not change the whole alternator. The V6 alternator is not the easiest to get to.

getting to the VR on the v6 is about as hard as removing the entire Alternator. if you have to go through THAT much trouble, and you have any significant amount of mileage on the alt anyway, then you may consider replacing the alternator with a new unit either way.

You can use the how-to, under Duratec Maintenance, then the "Read first" thread.

Back