• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Quattro

What's there to research? I've driven both in all kinds of weather. The OBS has literally gotten stuck in my own unplowed driveway. It had regular all-season tires on it (BF Goodrich Traction TA) and still got stuck. My '87 has the same 205/60-15 Traction TAs on it and drove through the same driveway with no issues. The A6 I speak of had ultra-high perf. all season (AvonTech) and, yet again, no problem with the snow and ice. I am just speaking from experience, which, IMO, can me worth more than generic "research."

What's there to research? I've driven both in all kinds of weather.

Are you for real?? You're sitting here telling people that your subaru defies the laws of physics and it's own design and puts more power to the rear wheels!!! A simple google search provides all the info for all the years of subaru's and their AWD systems.

The OBS has literally gotten stuck in my own unplowed driveway. It had regular all-season tires on it (BF Goodrich Traction TA) and still got stuck. My '87 has the same 205/60-15 Traction TAs on it and drove through the same driveway with no issues.

And your 87 that we're suddenly talking about is a heavier car with probably more power...but being heavier helps

The A6 I speak of had ultra-high perf. all season (AvonTech) and, yet again, no problem with the snow and ice. I am just speaking from experience, which, IMO, can me worth more than generic "research."

you mean your moms A6 right?? :laugh:

AWD is not a substitute for driving skill or common sense. Just cause it's AWD doesn't mean it's not gonna get stuck ever...yes, even your audi can get stuck. And there's really no need to compare a 10 year old subaru with a newer car that's cost more than twice as much as the subie when new either...

in this case, your experience means nothing, since you're wrong about several things.

Last edited:
Holy foreign cars, Batman! What's going on here?! This is a FORD forum!!

batman300.jpg

The '87 and the A6 are two completely different vehicles obviously. Both of with are much more capable than my Subaru ('98 OBS). The '87 does not have ESP. The extent of its technology ends with ABS. All Subarus of that era with automatic transmissions have "intelligent" AWD, which I assume is different than todays Symmetrical AWD. If I had the brochure to my OBS up here, I could explain it better, but the general idea is that it sends the majority of torque (not sure of the %, but >50%) to the rear wheels upon acceleration to compensate for weight-transfer. I'll be able to better explain it when I get the brochure this weekend.

Sorry but a 1998 Subaru OBS couldn't send a majority of its' power to the rear wheels. An automatic Subaru in 1998 would have defaulted to a 90/10 split and been able to send a maximum of 50% of the power to the rear (and you'd have to really try to send that much under normal conditions). However, if you need the grip at low speeds, if you put the car into 1st gear it will lock it to 50/50 until you put it in Drive.

You probably assumed, as many people would, that when you read the manual and it said that "under acceleration power is sent to the rear" that you were going from a 50/50 situation to, say, an 80/20 situation. But you're not. You're starting at a very heavily FWD bias of 90/10 and power is sent to the rear all the way up to as much as 50/50.

Last edited:
Quattro

Had a 03 A6 Quattro 2.7 T and have a 06 A6 Quattro S-Line 3.2 now, I'm not sure the AWD has ever come into play. They are very stable at all speeds rain or shine and both have seen the north GA switchbacks with no problems. My .02's worth.............................

Most likely Quattro is better than other AWD systems.

FYI,

We have an 88 suburu turbo wagon with awd and that thing has seen more then a few 2foot + snow drifts trying to get it stuck. I've never been able to, without just plain being stupid.

Back