• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Quattro

MAZDASPEED

Hard-core CEG'er
BMWM3-738227.jpg

hahaha

3series coupe is now available in AWD, so moot point.

I actually like the new 3series coupe. Probably the only decent looking BMW there now.

3series coupe is now available in AWD, so moot point.

I actually like the new 3series coupe. Probably the only decent looking BMW there now.

Not quite a moot point. Not all AWD systems are equal. The AWD in my Subaru is complete crap. It's no more capable in snow than a FWD car and on ice it acts RWD. My Audis, on the other hand, can plow through nearly anything and feel completely planted on any road surface. I wouldn't trust BMW's AWD for anything other than handling improvement on dry surfaces. They simply don't have the experience or the know-how. After going from a 540i Sport in winter to an A6 2.7T, it's really a no-brainer. I love BMWs, but they simply aren't as capable as a Quattro in inclement weather.

Not quite a moot point. Not all AWD systems are equal. The AWD in my Subaru is complete crap. It's no more capable in snow than a FWD car and on ice it acts RWD. My Audis, on the other hand, can plow through nearly anything and feel completely planted on any road surface. I wouldn't trust BMW's AWD for anything other than handling improvement on dry surfaces. They simply don't have the experience or the know-how. After going from a 540i Sport in winter to an A6 2.7T, it's really a no-brainer. I love BMWs, but they simply aren't as capable as a Quattro in inclement weather.

Tires :shrug:

shut up. please shut up.

and i've driven a 90' subaru wagon through several blizzards with shot tires...so i'll chalk your complaints about your subie to an inability to drive and a lack of all the computer stability controls your audi has. again...an inabillity to drive

there's no way your subie has a rwd bias either...

btw there's been AWD bmw 5 and 3 series' for a long time now...

shut up. please shut up.

and i've driven a 90' subaru wagon through several blizzards with shot tires...so i'll chalk your complaints about your subie to an inability to drive and a lack of all the computer stability controls your audi has. again...an inabillity to drive

there's no way your subie has a rwd bias either...

btw there's been AWD bmw 5 and 3 series' for a long time now...

You go ahead and chalk it up to that, as a Subaru owner I'll chalk it up to crappy AWD...as most recent Subie owners have. I seriously doubt my '87 Audi has any sort of computer stability control since they didn't offer ESP until the later part of the 1990s. I've driven many AWD vehicles in many kinds of weather, and can safely say that Audi is without a doubt the best. Also, Subaru's "intelligent" AWD automatically transfers the majority of power to the rear wheels while accelerating since weight transfers to the wheels. BMW has had AWD for a few years now, however Audi has been using it much longer, and it shows. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TfbcvRg7MY

I seriously doubt my '87 Audi has any sort of computer stability control since they didn't offer ESP until the later part of the 1990s.

So you have a 1987 Audi A6 2.7t?? Wow...you should sell it cause it's probably worth eleventy billion dollars - being the only one in existance and all.

Go back and read what you already posted...the A6 you talk about certainly has stability control.

and i don't know what year subaru you have, but it is a front wheel bias with a max split of 50/50

So you have a 1987 Audi A6 2.7t?? Wow...you should sell it cause it's probably worth eleventy billion dollars - being the only one in existance and all.

Go back and read what you already posted...the A6 you talk about certainly has stability control.

and i don't know what year subaru you have, but it is a front wheel bias with a max split of 50/50

The '87 and the A6 are two completely different vehicles obviously. Both of with are much more capable than my Subaru ('98 OBS). The '87 does not have ESP. The extent of its technology ends with ABS. All Subarus of that era with automatic transmissions have "intelligent" AWD, which I assume is different than todays Symmetrical AWD. If I had the brochure to my OBS up here, I could explain it better, but the general idea is that it sends the majority of torque (not sure of the %, but >50%) to the rear wheels upon acceleration to compensate for weight-transfer. I'll be able to better explain it when I get the brochure this weekend.

x2... They dont call it Symmetrical AWD for nothin...:troutslap:

some of us actually research before we talk,

and others have already been banned before for talking out of their ass

The '87 and the A6 are two completely different vehicles obviously.

O'rly??

Both of with are much more capable than my Subaru ('98 OBS). The '87 does not have ESP. The extent of its technology ends with ABS. All Subarus of that era with automatic transmissions have "intelligent" AWD, which I assume is different than todays Symmetrical AWD. If I had the brochure to my OBS up here,

the point is, nowhere did you mention the 87 until i replied to your post...

and again, your subaru like the subaru's before it is a FWD bias, with a max torque split of 50/50. I'm not trying to imply that the Audi system is not better...but your subaru certainly does not perform like a RWD car, nor will it ever.

I could explain it better, but the general idea is that it sends the majority of torque (not sure of the %, but >50%) to the rear wheels upon acceleration to compensate for weight-transfer.

but you can't explain it better...so just stop talking. get better tires and learn to drive in the snow.

Last edited:
Back