• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats currently wrong with your contour?

- Exhaust rusted on
- can't get engine out cuz of echaust
-cant get new engine in because of old engine
- cant pick up new engine because i need to borrow dads truck
-cant borrow dads truck until weekend
- needs detail more than any car on this board
-i need more money :(

98Se (oh man, everything!!! It's my dd)

1.) Fuel pump crapping out/perhaps filter sock clogged
2.) 3 CELs, pre-cats clogged-meh, whatever!
3.) Wheel-bearing
-If I exceed 65mph, the car violently shakes, so I CC at 58! You should see all the lovely hand gestures I get on the highway!
4.) Suspension has 119k miles on it
5.) Battery light is coming on (Replaced alternator 10k miles ago)-dunno what's going on
6.) Oil burns
7.) One cylinder is crapping out-poor compression test results
8.) Spark plug is constantly fouling out, result of #7
9.) A/c doesn't work
10.) Only one window works!!!! The passenger sides. Needless to say, this car gets hot as hell w/o A/c and one window open!!! At least, the moon-roof works.
11.) Some weird idling issue. In N, the car bogs. Dunno why.
12.) I have a feeling the master cylinder is crapping out, as brakes feel spongy. Yes, original brakes at 119k miles!!!!
13.) Boiling coolant. I checked the thermostat and WP, and everything is fine. Just seems like head gasket is going out.

I've finally got some free time this weekend, and hope to address a few things on the list. Ehh, whatever, though, it works and gets me from A to B.

1999 SE, little odds and ends, but mechanically, it's in great shape! :cool:

I was aware of all issues upon purchasing.
And honestly, the car is in great condition, a lot of these are nitpicky.

Failed inspection today:
- Tint needs to be ripped off :(
- Needs new tires
- Needs new front brakes and all rotors

I know I'm forgetting a few things.
- Scuffs all around bumper and side skirts, tons of rock chips in front bumper
- Hole in front bumper (for stock license plate holder)
- Dent in driver's fender
- Fog lights don't work (probably easy fix)
- Stazi endlink on one side, stock on the other
- Sunroof / dome light housing is falling down, dome light bulb is dead but map lights work
- Needs a good vacuuming / cleaning (my fault)
- Could use a new trunk liner
- Head unit doesn't play CDs, one speaker is blown or just rattly, generally needs new audio
- Mystery crack in sheetmetal at the top left of the rear reflector
- Passenger side front window is slow
- Rock chips in windshield
- Headlights are starting to show haze
- sticky TB upon startup

edit: and as of tonight, it smells like Hell and tarnation inside because I removed the tint ;)

Last edited:
IMRC Stuck Open

Are you my twin? LOL!

-Had the 1518 code come up sunday and had it scanned today. Had a spare IMRC so I swapped it in and no more code.
Next:
-Replace ST200 strut on front driver since a POS koni didn't want to let do of the top nut to get the spring off. :mad: Had to destroy the Koni to get the spring off. Waiting on new Koni.
-Have to pull rear struts again since Eurotour neglected to put a top cup back on so my rear clunks like a mofo!
-Replace Napa pads since they make a hella noise with the Warmonger kit. Have some Bendix on my black car to swap over.
-Someday fix the exhaust leak at the rear ex. mani. Almost impossible due to the cobbled up custom exhaust.

Just put on new low mileage OEM axles and front endlinks. Have new tie rods that need to go on but mine are in good shape right now.

Last edited:
Currently getting carbon tracking from #1 pplug, have replaced everything and it still does it, so every 650 miles I put on new dielectric grease in the boot. :shrug: :laugh:

Also have some of the worst dash warp, EVER! NE CEGers can testify to this. Just don't feel like ripping apart dash to fix it, but eventually I will.:rolleyes:

Other than that, It's got 146K miles and still runs pretty darn good, IMO.

Tan is easier to find I'll bet. And no you don't have the worst warp. You might be tied with some I've seen though.:laugh:

Are you my twin? LOL!

-Had the 1518 code come up sunday and had it scanned today. Had a spare IMRC so I swapped it in and no more code.

I'm gonna murder you in your sleep! :laugh:

I've had this code for years. Before and after 3L swap. I've done everything to try and repair it!

UIM/LIM cleaning, rebuild
Checked linkage
Replaced linkage grommets
Checked for bad cable
Replaced PCM

I've replaced the IMRC 3 times. 2 times with used ones, finally went with a new one from Team Ford, and it didn't fix crap. Same results. Start the car, wait about 3-4 seconds and watch the IMRC open and stay open until the car is shut off.

Only thing left for me is replacing main and injector harness. :mad:

Oh yea forgot about that. Damn I gotz lucky. My cable was very freyed where it clips in also. It's a wonder it didn't snap so I'm kinda glad I got the code. Not having 2ndaries make Todd very angry even for a minute. LOL!

where to start lol
1. needs new roll restrictors(have them but yet to install)
2. front bumper repair(have another one just needs paint and install)
3. struts are shot to hell
4. interior plastic is falling off lol(need to fix cause of broken tabs etc...)
5. clutch is about worn out

With 91k miles coming up:

-- The clutch is startng to get chattery in 1st gear, but it isn't slipping yet.
-- The front wheel bearings moan like a $20 hooker.
-- Multiple rock chips on the front bumper.
-- One fog light and one license plate light burnt out.
-- Tires are prematurely worn on the inside edges. I give them 40 psi. now and call them good.
-- Haven't had the check engine light go on in at least two weeks. Woo-hoo!

Getting about 28-29 mpg on the highway.

-Needs new hood (Anybody got a CF OEM hood CHEAP?)
-Serious dash warp
-rear sway bar end links
-Hole in the A/C system somewhere
-tires need to be replaced on ST200 wheels
-trunk carpeting is completely warped/shot

lets see:

desperatly need complete suspension overhall (struts, end links, bushings, strut mounts)

need new passenger side mirror

paint is chipping off front bumper

antenna makes terrible grinding noise (sometimes goes down sometimes doesnt)

i think that covers it

1) clogged fuel pump, I can't take a left hand turn with less than 1/2 tank without the car bucking like crazy.
I've had the exact same problem for quite a while, and I sometimes get it when accelerating uphill with less than half a tank. My mechanic said the fuel pressure is ok, but I'm still going to replace the pump with an upgrade. According to the DIY guide on Autozone's site, you can access it from the back seat. I'm confident I can handle that. The reason I still own the car is so I don't have a car payment, and I don't want to negate that with labor charges. I think it's time for front struts and mounts, which will be done by my mechanic. Luckily, I have an excellent mechanic who doesn't mind me supplying the parts.

Almost everything I've done or had done was basic maintenance:

- rear struts and mounts, plugs and plug wires (108K)
- timing belt (99K)
- front rotors (95K)
- a corroded tube in the engine compartment, and brake fluid flush and fill (90K)
- regular oil changes, transmission fluid changes, and coolant changes

My former mechanic also fixed my temp gauge with a bit of solder to the instrument cluster. Before I had the car, some genius apparently tried to access the instrument cluster by prying it with a screwdriver and damaged the cluster.

My biggest issue is that I live in an apartment that doesn't allow auto maintenance in the parking spaces. I don't blame them, because oil-stained pavement certainly doesn't help property value. But the down side is that I don't have much of a base of operations for DIY work. When I was in the Air Force, the bases had auto hobby shops where you could rent a bay complete with lifts and tools and do your own work. Man, I miss that.

Last edited:
-removed tint and around the bottom end the sticky stuff still catches the window when rolling down
-back passenger window doesn't roll down from the front controlls
-small rust spot in rear passenger fender
-no radio antenna from previous owner
-headlights don't light up the road from the previoius owner installing them wrong
-dent on driver's side rear quarter panel
-crack in rear bumper and the tabs where it mounts in the wheel well
-both fog lights are out
-new plug wires installed but don't look as clean of install as stock

That's about it for now I guess, lots of other stuff has been fixed though. Pretty much just little stuff that isn't necessary to fix but I'll try to get to sometime.

lets see

Mystique needs a valve cover gasket

SeVT needs the th fix reinstalled after swapping intakes. It didn't hang bad until this last weekend.

SVT does need anything that I know of. Just want to bleed the brakes/clutch.

Okay my turn....

-Need new back shocks....they are sagging big time.
-Need to touch up front and back bumper...people ran into me and didnt leave a number to contact them.
-Dome light doesnt work when the doors are open.
-Right turn signal flashes but doesnt stay on when parking lights are on.

Other than that this car has been great 94,500 miles and still runing strong as ever and as strong as a 4 banger can run:crazy:

oh yeah, I forgot about my worthless ebrake. (which is what I have always used to park :mad:) now the right side doesnt work and the left side feels like a small woodland creature is keeping my car from rolling into large stationary objects. .

My waterpump just went in my SE at 141,000 miles. I may have cooked the engine, so I might be doing another 3L here really soon because I need my
SE back as my daily driver. I will be replacing the waterpump tomorrow so we'll see if the motor needs replacing. :) I should have known to replace it, because my last se had the waterpump impellar shatter at 141,500 miles. I couldn't believe that both of my se's had the same failure within 500 miles of eachother!

And as for my SVT, I'm just driving it and loving it. I feel comfortable with it because 99% of the car has been replaced at one point or another. :)

Jeff

1) Failing EGR sensor
2) Failing steering rack
3) Leaking powersteering pump
4) multiple stars in the windshield
5) Long-term intermittent brake problem
6) Broken sunroof motor/gear
7) Failing front/passenger window regulator

hmm... I guess that's it. It often feels like the list is much longer though :cry:

Oh yeah... #8!
8) I don't have a turbo

Back