• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Whats currently wrong with your contour?

CarpePoon

Hard-core CEG'er
I was replacing the brakes on my wifes '02 saturn yesterday and was thinking about how great of a car it is. 107k on the clock and besides routine maitenance all I have ever had to fix on it was rusted out exhaust hanger. Then I got to think about the '00 SVT with 101k and how much I have had to fix on it and what is still wrong with it that I need to fix soon. I'm not even going to think about all the $$ I put into the car already on previous problems.

So here's my current list:
1) clogged fuel pump, I can't take a left hand turn with less than 1/2 tank without the car bucking like crazy.
2) Dash warp, I can't even see my wipers, the dash is actually touching windshield.
3) steering.. or at least thats what I think and have been told that it is. one of the valves in my rack/pinion is sticking which throws me into a turn half way through.
4) I dont think the key entry on my trunk has ever worked. and the silinoids choose to work when they want to in the winter.

So what all do you currently have wrong with your tours?

Mostly cosmetic stuff, or things that I have modified that need to be finished.

- Cracked windsheild
- Dent on fender
- Dent on C pillar (vandals! :mad:)
- New Fuel filter
- Order Stainless lines for remote oil filter
- New fender liners
- Strut mounts and sway bar bushing

The car has been pretty solid otherwise! Then again I just replaced the entire drivetrain this summer

-Some small rust on the inside of the doors and trunk lid
-Faded hood with lots of stone chips.
-Need a drop
-More POWER!!!

just had lots of suspension work done and the car drives and feels great for now!

Cracked vents on dash
Dash clock bulb is burnt out (so far I've been to lazy to solder in a C74 bulb...)
I NEED RIMS (sick of steelies)
Crack(s) spreading on pass. corner of rear bumper (time to get a 98+ one)
Paint fading on plate hold on trunk (want to get 98+ one, but paint matching will be a problem)
Two window cranks lack knobs
Passenger door bezel is cracked with a chunk missing
Passenger head rest is busted
Paint is chipped and rusting in a few places
Need to refurbish headlights
..maybe more that I'm missing...

Need to install a bunch of stuff still.
make some brackets.
Tune the xcal2.
New tires for some new wheels I already have.
Get steeda to finish wiring my battery.
LOL, so mostly its stuff i haven't finished because I have hardly worked on it.
So, I guess there is nothing "wrong" with my car, lol, just nothing right with it either.

The ebrake handle has been acting up, and there -was- a moose until that was fixed.
Other than that, the car is near perfect.

Cars don't last forever, especially when you do mods that create problems or your driving style is on the rough side.

When i had mine i had to replace:

Fuel Pump (warranty)
IAC Valve, twice (Warranty)
Oil Pan Gasket
Wheel Bearing
O2 Sensor
E-Brake cable froze...then snapped

that's about it. I had the trans rebuilt to the tune of $3,000-$3,200 but that was my decision cause i wanted a quaife. Though i think the throwout bearing was going bad as i was getting the jet engine whine when downshifting.

i've had worse cars. I imagine i would have had problems with the TOB eventually, but i had always planned on beefing up the trans anyway so i was prepared to spend the money.

everything else was standard maintenance stuff.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my front suspension is all effed up. Not very happy with the shop I brought it to back in March. This was before I joined CEG. NEVER BRINGING IT TO A SHOP AGAIN. I think my rear suspension is starting to go, a little bit of butt sag, but it isn't toooooo bad. Oh and my front rotors are starting to get a bit warped again. :mad:

1. PAINT!!! "Chicken Feet" :mad:
2. Door Dings/Couple other minor defects
3. Cracked Headlight/Mirror Switch Pannel- "Still WTB"
4. Drivers side floor mat= Not good...
5. Ebrake cable broke on drivers side, so it's basically worthless...:mad:
6. Seal around the stearing colom where it goes through the firewall needs modified still from running my power wire for my amp. Gotta love the heat coming up through there on hot days, and soon to be cold...:nonono:
7. BEST one yet, "still running stock shocks/struts with intrax springs for around 8k miles or so now... Gonna have to make that a top priority come spring!

Last edited:
Currently getting carbon tracking from #1 pplug, have replaced everything and it still does it, so every 650 miles I put on new dielectric grease in the boot. :shrug: :laugh:

Also have some of the worst dash warp, EVER! NE CEGers can testify to this. Just don't feel like ripping apart dash to fix it, but eventually I will.:rolleyes:

Other than that, It's got 146K miles and still runs pretty darn good, IMO.

gas gauge doesnt work
headlight mounts are cracked and headlights are really gross
leaks in the interior when it rains
big ass scratch down the side thanks to my sister
trunk leaks
just had the alternator fixed so that was my only serious problem

Install my heaping pile of parts :laugh:
Clockspring
E-Brake (get it working)
Figure out my CEL's
Body damage on passanger rear door
Minor paint where it apears the PO pried the doors open and where I scraped the bumper

Tempurature gadge that is posesed.
Mystique rear reflector is not water tight.
Dead Fuel pump, have a new one just havent installed it yet.
Sun Roof Gear melted thx Arizona!

Extremly small vacume leak from rear valve cover
Rear brakes need replacing (not making any noise yet)
Need new struts and mounts
Need to do the front brake pads and rotors (not making any noise yet)
Need new battery
Need passenger side 4 bolt lca

Thank god thats it.

Ongoing throttle hang problem
regular emissions system maint (egr/pcv)
lower control arms
install steeda shifter
replace brake fluid

Glad to see I'm not the only one thats a little behind on the upkeep.

• Vacuum leaks - biggie!
• Needs complete PCV tubes... original owner vented PCV due to MIA S/C, probly causing some of my problems.
• Needs a stock-type intake instead of homemade silicone setup from S/C era.
• Body shop tells me I have a bent passenger front strut causing my extreme negative camber. Sucks cause original owner put Eibachs over the Konis, so I pretty much need all new suspension (wouldn't mind to raise it a bit... caused me 650 euro worth of damage from a spike strip that the military might not pay for since my car is modified).
• Front bumper broken and now scratched
• Rear bumper scratched
• Both driver side doors scratched (vandalism?)
• Engine bay fuel lines dry rotted... now leaking
• In tank fuel pump bad, replaced Vortech pump and obviously didn't help
• Fuel pressure regulator bad, makes horrible whining sound
• Speedometer 10MPH fast
• E-brake cable sticks
• Rear rotors warped a bit

Other than that, it's solid (mostly because I've had the rest repaired already!)... this car is a big money pit I wanna get out of once it runs properly, but I'm worried that if I fix it and sell it, the next person is going to have a super reliable ride for the next 10 years.

Back