• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Switching to a/c, defrost, or mix blows a fuse

GT_Rich

New CEG'er
95 contour, 4 cylinder, 5 speed.

I just got the car and the a/c compressor is siezed up, so the previous owner bypassed the comp with a shorter belt. That's fine, it's a winter car for me. However, I'm unable to switch to the window defroster b/c it tries to trigger the compressor and blows a fuse.

The electrical connection to the compressor is unplugged and taped up in the engine bay. What do I need to do to be able to use the defroster to blow air over the window this winter.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

95 contour, 4 cylinder, 5 speed.

I just got the car and the a/c compressor is siezed up, so the previous owner bypassed the comp with a shorter belt. That's fine, it's a winter car for me. However, I'm unable to switch to the window defroster b/c it tries to trigger the compressor and blows a fuse.

The electrical connection to the compressor is unplugged and taped up in the engine bay. What do I need to do to be able to use the defroster to blow air over the window this winter.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Rich -- Are you looking be able to use all HVAC functions simply without the A/C compressor? I suppose you could get away with this to some degree if the air coming out the defroster were hot enough -- as it certainly won't have the benefit of being dried by the A/C system.

Alright, I'll pull R3 and R4 and give it a try. Just to make sure we're on the same page - the blower will still blow hot or cold air (depending on what I select), and I'll have the option to blow it from the panel vents, floor, or at the window (defroster), but the a/c simply won't dehumidify it.

When it's below freezing this winter, the humidity is 0% anyways. All I wanted was to direct air over the window.

Thanks for the replies,
Rich

I went and pulled R3 and R4 last night and it did exactly what I wanted. Thanks again for the reply. This is a really good looking forum. I didn't expect this much support for a contour! (I'm a mustang guy and usually frequent stangnet and corral forums.)

Rich

I went and pulled R3 and R4 last night and it did exactly what I wanted. Thanks again for the reply. This is a really good looking forum. I didn't expect this much support for a contour! (I'm a mustang guy and usually frequent stangnet and corral forums.)

Rich
We try. ;)

Back