• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to replace rear pads on 98 SVT

97vulcan

CEG'er
I am new to the SVT, and need to replace the pads on the rear calipers. Does someone have a nice write-up for this? How hard is it? is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks,
Adam

I am new to the SVT, and need to replace the pads on the rear calipers. Does someone have a nice write-up for this? How hard is it? is it pretty straight forward?

Thanks,
Adam

yes adam. its pretty easy. Theres a write up somewhere on the maintenance forums. i dont remember wot size wrenches u'll need exactly. Am not sure wot sort of a nack u have for fixing things... but u should be able to figure it out just by examining the calipers, and with a decent amount of tools. Again, check out the maintenance pages.

Need a 55 torx bit I think. Undo bolt that and the caliper swings up. You can rotote the piston with needle nose pliers by turning clockwise. Do not compress!

The difference with the front is that u have to rotate and push the pistons at the same time.I think there is a special tool for that,but i never used it.:cool:

You can rent the disc brake caliper tool set at Auto Zone for free. You'll just need to put down the cost of the unit in case you walk with it -- about $35 bucks, but you'll get every penny back when you return it.

The set includes a caliper compressor with various adapters. Parts that fit our cars perfectly are included. With the rears, you'll need to turn the piston. The fronts do not turn -- just press them straight in. You could even use a C-clamp, though there is an adapter for them in the kit.

Here's a shot of the tool set:

AT08.jpg

Or buy the little cube attachment for like $5 but needle nose work fine. AND FOR THE 2ND TIME YOU DON'T PUSH THE PISTON IN!

Thanks for the replies guys. I used to own a 1997 Taurus, and I had to use this tool to compress the piston. If I use the tool from Autozone, won't it turn and push in at the same time? This sounds pretty straight forward, so I just turn the rear piston in, and it goes in? BTW, any specific favored pads that I can purchase at NAPA, AutoZone, or the like?

Adam

Thanks for the replies guys. I used to own a 1997 Taurus, and I had to use this tool to compress the piston. If I use the tool from Autozone, won't it turn and push in at the same time? This sounds pretty straight forward, so I just turn the rear piston in, and it goes in? BTW, any specific favored pads that I can purchase at NAPA, AutoZone, or the like?

Adam

In a way, yes. As it turns, the piston goes in. The point is to avoid pushing on the piston without turning it.

As for pads, I'd go with Motorcraft -- part number 1U2Z2V200GA. If not, Wagner Thermo Quiets -- part number PD661.

www.rockauto.com is a great site.

LauraSVT,

Thanks for the info on the pads! I just want to get some that are quiet, and last a long time. :) Doesn't everyone. ha! I will get this done in a week or two!

Thanks,
Adam

i just put new bearing on my 98e0 with bendix pads there great only when i back up in the morning and hit the brakes they make a groaning sound but if i keep going back it stops after a while

Back