• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

broken fogs?

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm guessing everyone on here has had problems with broken fog lights. It sucks, it's expensive to fix. But I found a solution.

Go to Lowes/Home Depot where they sell window stuff. Grab a piece of Plexiglass, 8"x10", it's just under $3. Cut it into quarters (you only need half of the sheet). Then take a piece and wedge it in front of the fog light.

Not only does it stay put w/o any drilling or mounting, you can't even see it. It'll stop rocks and sand, as well as UV. You could also do the same with glass but you'd need a glass cutter.

Just an idea for an excellent fix... less than $3 to protect $100+ worth of fog lights. Plus you could replace it after a year or two if it gets wrecked with the other half left over.

You mean behind the bumper cover? My fogs peak into the holes I doubt I could squeeze glass in between it :shrug:

Somehow my proburner got a crack on the side of it.. i never know how it happens it just does :rolleyes:

You mean behind the bumper cover? My fogs peak into the holes I doubt I could squeeze glass in between it :shrug:

Somehow my proburner got a crack on the side of it.. i never know how it happens it just does :rolleyes:

Well, the Plexiglass is somewhat flexible. I got tired of breaking my Optilux. It's only $3 for the plexiglass, so give it a try.

i have pro-burners, crack on the side, you know what you do.... go to walmart and buy new ones, and if you're cheap you wait a week or so and return your broken ones as defective.

i have pro-burners, crack on the side, you know what you do.... go to walmart and buy new ones, and if you're cheap you wait a week or so and return your broken ones as defective.
I spliced all my wiring to fit the wiring that I had on the car.. I should take them back and be like.. I thought they came like that :shrug:

:laugh:

The Cibie glass fogs from the Maurader fit in the SVT fogs spaces nicely, (but admittedly do have to be custom fitted) and then the laminex adhesive lens protector can be used (not sure if that works on plastic lenses). They produce about 5 times the light the stock fogs do. They cost, but anything that's really good, costs.....

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get a replace socket for my foglamp? The contacts in mine are pulling away from the wires and the light won't come on.

Apparenlty this doesn't work. I went out to my car today to discover the new fog, less than a month old, is cracked. I'm not going to replace it this time.

Back