• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starter Question

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
My starter ran but didnt engage this morning, This was the first time it happened and tried to rap it with hammer but wasnt enough room to get a good swing. I pop started it, and go to work and the starter is now working.

I think its because of the temp fluxuation becuse now the days are still 90 or so and the night drop pretty cool (rained last night a little too).

Is there anything I can do to make starting my car a guessing game? Should I replace it? :shrug:

Well, to solve any additional problems I got a new starter from Ford. Bill got for me for $140. You may say, "why OEM?". Well I have had to replace my rebuilt ones from autozone on my mustang 3-4 times. And they have left me hanging a few times too many. Motorcraft from Parts America is the same price if not more.

Anyway the replace went well. Couple this that may help is to PB blast the bolts the night before.

remove the battery, battery box, and intake

The bolts that hold the starter in are 13mm. when you look at the starter from the driver side fender. the front bolt I used a box wrench (upside down than regular use). For the back I used several extentions to bring a 3/8 drive ratchet above the cowl.

To fanagle the thing out, which took the most time. disconnect the wires off of the selonoid and turn the starter clock wise, and barrel roll it towards you while you move it toward the fender. Keep the base behind the coolant hoses and move the starter toward the front of the car while following the contour of the trans. Bring it passed the opening (where the air box/ intake was removed. move it to its under the battery tray then bring it back out of the hole.

be sure not to catch the starter on the wires.... I caught one and had to do some searching where it was suppose to go...the tempeture sending unit wire.

I also did a trans fluid change as well. Took me only a few hrs.

I'm a big advocate of using direct replacement OEM parts, especially for those that are hard to get to. Back in the day for the problem like you were having we'd replace the starter drive or lube the shaft that the starter drive spun on to see if that would fix the problem but starters were easier to get to then. :)
Karl

Well, In addition to tthe one instance that I had, I realize now that there was a problem with the starter since I had the car. Because it was to me, i didnt know better. However, I used to get this whining noise after I let go of the key, It now is gone. Now I believe that the starter gear was remain on the fly wheel a bit to long and cause the starter motor spin. This might of lead to my starting problem.

Back