• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Water pump?

200SVT

from what I heard 98 and 99 csvts had a problem with water pump failures. Did they correct this problem on the 2000 model, and if not have any of you had problems with the water pumps?

The biggest problems with water pumps were on the 95-97. The black plastic impeller would come apart. The worst of the problems were gone by 98 after a more durable white plastic came into use. A very few 98's had problems with the stainless steel plate coming loose from the housing, but this is much less common.

If in doubt, change the water pump. They are not hard to change and not very expensive.

The fix was not implemented until '99 or at least '98.5. My Sport had the failure occur, and the pump that I preemptively pulled from my SVT had the black plastic impeller. Both were early '98s.

The original pump in my car, built 4/97, had the white impeller. My experience in dealerships was that the impeller blowing apart problem did not continue into the 98 model year. But like I said, if you need peace of mind, change it anyway. I changed mine for Justin (Justin Case). I changed it at about 80,000 miles. The replacement pump is still there and I just turned 230,000 miles. I replaced it with the Motorcraft replacement.

Back