• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How hard to fix

G

green SVT

Ok man this car is really making me upset. So after posting my last thread I decided to take my car to the dealer. They said that the hub, wheel bearing, rotor, and knuckle are shot on my passenger front. My question is can the knuckle actually go bad or are they pulling my chain? And how difficult is this? Can I do it at home without airtools? They want 1,100 if the axle is ok and 1,500 if the axle is bad. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do it man! It's not hard to replace all that stuff. Purchasing a hub assembly is the cheapest way to go. It comes with bearings already. An axle u can get for less than a hundred bucks. And rotors u can get anywhere. Pneumatic tools i gatta say would help, but can be done without it. I know... i did mine.

So you can buy these as an assembly? So thats the hub, knuckle, and bearing?????

255.00!!!!!!!! Ha ha the dealer is such a liar. They said "actually the hub, bearing, and knuckle, are sold seperate." I called another dealer, looks like they lied :rolleyes:

What other odds and ends do I need to do this. Isnt there some one time use bolt or something?

255.00!!!!!!!! Ha ha the dealer is such a liar. They said "actually the hub, bearing, and knuckle, are sold seperate." I called another dealer, looks like they lied :rolleyes:

What other odds and ends do I need to do this. Isnt there some one time use bolt or something?

they definitely lied. It is sold as an assembly or as separate pieces. Obviously, it's cheaper to go with the assembly. Am not exactly sure of wot u mean by one time use bolt... but all bolts n nuts u'll need will be on the old one. If it looks bad, get new ones. If u havn't taken off the rotor in a while, it might be a pain to get off. Simply hit the rotor on all sides gently with a rubber mallet. That way, u dont ruin it.

Yeah, they say 5 times but you never know how many times it has been off, GET IT. They can be had at a dealer too. last price I saw was $9. Napa has them listed I believe but I dont know how avaliable they are.

they definitely lied. It is sold as an assembly or as separate pieces. Obviously, it's cheaper to go with the assembly. Am not exactly sure of wot u mean by one time use bolt... but all bolts n nuts u'll need will be on the old one. If it looks bad, get new ones. If u havn't taken off the rotor in a while, it might be a pain to get off. Simply hit the rotor on all sides gently with a rubber mallet. That way, u dont ruin it.

Ahh ok I will do that thanks for the help. Oh the bolt. Look at link, first pic the nut on the hub, the big one, isnt that a one time use? I thought I heard that somewhere. How knows, its obviously I've never gotten into tearing apart my chasis before :D

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d5/0a/0900823d801bd50a/repairInfoPages.htm

Ahh ok I will do that thanks for the help. Oh the bolt. Look at link, first pic the nut on the hub, the big one, isnt that a one time use? I thought I heard that somewhere. How knows, its obviously I've never gotten into tearing apart my chasis before :D

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/d5/0a/0900823d801bd50a/repairInfoPages.htm

i could be wrong, but i don't think its of one time use only. There doesnt seem to me to be any sensible reason for discarding that big hub bolt n using a new one :shrug:

hmm maybe I'm just crazy, but thanks for the help. You saved me bunches of money!

Did you read my post :shrug: The Bolt is composited of multiple layers of metal fixed together, I said to be one time use because removed too many times the layers will come apart and you will have six washers. Look on the other page at my post. Your not crazy, just have problems reading thats all. j/k :cool:

BTW: Rousch is spelled Roush

Last edited:
der der, me like to read..:D Yeah I thought I read it somewhere. What thread was that again? And so are you saying that the bolt can be reused if its still in one piece?

The stock nut is 32 mm. Part # F5RZ-3B477-A . It's a segmented design, don't touch the tabs. It is supposed to be a one time use nut.

I dont know the thread or pitch. I never done this before, but I researched when I thought my CV joint was on its way out (which still maybe the case).
I have read that you can reuse. I personal would have it when I pull the thing apart, and If the old one is fine, well you have a new one might as well use it.
You dont want to get it apart and not have the nut to put it back together.

The axle nut (the stacked washer one) is considered by Ford to be single use. This is because the it is designed to apply a large preload to the bearing through the very high torque used to install it. Once they have been used, they are more likely to relax and lose torque over time. Always torque this nut to the spec and check it periodically. If you pay attention to things, you shouldn't have an issue reusing the nut a few times. Just MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT TORQUED properly, otherwise you will be buying a new bearing in short order.

The axle nut (the stacked washer one) is considered by Ford to be single use. This is because the it is designed to apply a large preload to the bearing through the very high torque used to install it. Once they have been used, they are more likely to relax and lose torque over time. Always torque this nut to the spec and check it periodically. If you pay attention to things, you shouldn't have an issue reusing the nut a few times. Just MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT TORQUED properly, otherwise you will be buying a new bearing in short order.

Well the front bearing was replaced by the previous owner so I think that I'll just buy a new just to be on the safe side. :)

Back