• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

did the 98.5 SVT's have harness issues?

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
well?

i read somewhere that the wiring harnesses tended to crack between 95-98 but Im curious if that includes 98.5?

well?

i read somewhere that the wiring harnesses tended to crack between 95-98 but Im curious if that includes 98.5?

That is a good question. I thought they took care of it for the whole 98 year, and that 97 was the last year for it. And with my car being the mutt (half E0 half E1) I might want to look into this a little more

My 98 is fine. I know some 98's have cracking though. Some do and some don't. Have to inspect each one.

I had to put the main ecu harness in mine but it is an early E0 built in 97. Ford cust service sucks too they wont cover it even though it was built in early 97

mine have that problem i tape it all the cables one by one from the ecu and to fusebox and sometimes itself turn it off after replaced the fuse box and relay box both of them (front)

My early built 98 (4/97 build date) has no wiring issues. There have been reports here at CEG of a few 98s with the problem though so there is something going on. It may be a few, rather than all like the earlier ones where all or them had junk wiring looms. About 10 years earlier, Volvo had the same issues. I wonder if they bought them from the same vendor.

I am all hit, baby!

my E1 (Kremits car) had wiring harness cracking.

my current 99 has it, too. ARGH! (of course.. there's a LOT more heat in my engine bay, too)

How can I check my wiring harness to see if its bad? I heard that if I mess with it that I can fry everything. I'm a little worried about doing an engine rebuild if this is going to be a problem. I have a 98 Mystique LS.

Just look at the under the fuse box, arond the fuel injectors, in various locations to see if the insulation is cracking.

How can I check my wiring harness to see if its bad? I heard that if I mess with it that I can fry everything. I'm a little worried about doing an engine rebuild if this is going to be a problem. I have a 98 Mystique LS.
The job would probably be easier with the engine out anyway.
Karl

I can definately vouch for this one. YES. The harness does have issues. As soon my wiring went back in after doing the 3l swap all the wiring had to be replaced because almost all the connections from the injectors harness were cracked completely and were shorting out.

In the end I had to replace my pcm harness and injector harness because of cracking.

Back