• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Two Codes but I think I know the problem....

Redlineracer12

Addicted CEG'er
Well the day before yesterday I had a code 401, and the car has been running semi-rough the last week or so. Now today after clearing the codes (unhooked the battery for a while) and driving it for a couple short errands i pulled a 402. Insufficient and excessive egr flows in two days lol from searching before i'm thinking that its a DPFE problem? Maybe i'll replace that i think they're around 75 bucks from Ford Parts Online for the new upgraded black one, I still have the shiny metal one. My car is a 2000 SVT in case the sigs aren't working, by the way this new forum is not to shabby :) I also have kinda a tick i'm not sure if the two problems are related but the tick sounds kinda gross its not very loud and only really noticeable when the engine is not under load. Any input would be appreciated. Tony

Yes, the P0402 is a DPFE code.

I wonder if your Bank 1 precat is plugged/clogged (causing the gasket to leak at the exhaust manifold or flexipipe flange). Did you ever have a P0420 code?

Got Headers :) No precats to clog....

Those hoses that connect there COULD be leaking, but that wouldn't really explain the excessive flow? I tried to feel for leaks but it was too hard. Tomorrow i will test the DPFE via method described in the chilton book, checking voltages.

Any other input?

Last edited:
I also have kinda a tick i'm not sure if the two problems are related but the tick sounds kinda gross its not very loud and only really noticeable when the engine is not under load. Any input would be appreciated. Tony

I have that same tick on my SE and it really bothers me. Anyways, at least my SVT doesn't do it. I have always wondered what it is also.

Reebs

Opposing codes (P0401 & P0402 in this case) are almost always due to a faulty sensor.

I'd just replace the DPFE sensor in this one.

Steve

Opposing codes (P0401 & P0402 in this case) are almost always due to a faulty sensor.

I'd just replace the DPFE sensor in this one.

Steve

Thanks for the tip, The Chilton has steps for testing the DPFE voltage readings at different rpms and how fast they fall... I'm thinkin bout trying it but didn't get to it today, hopefully in the morning. Does anyone know how these Silver DPFE's have been failing? Is in due to heat? Cuz i did have a sort of um fire in the near area.... I don't know if that could have caused this new problem or not.
Keep em coming
Thanks, Tony

Update, more convinced now....

Update, more convinced now....

Well i tested the DPFE as described in the Chilton manual.

Disconnect vacuum hoses running to egr tube, back probe sig rtn (the middle wire correct?) with a multimeter and test for voltage with ignition on. Got a reading somewhere between .05 volts and .06 volts. Then i attached a vacuum tube to the REF vacuum hose hook up. Applied 8-9inches of HG worth of vacuum and noticed NO change in the voltage whatsoever. Tried releasing it, tried again, still nothing. The way they make it sound in the manual it is supposed to reach > 4Volts at 8-9 in of vac and then drop down considerably quick after the vacuum is removed?

So would it be safe to say the DPFE is junk? I will test it yet again here just to be certain but i am confident with my previous results.

What do you guys think?

Tony

hmmmmm i'm thinking its your flux capacitor...

just get the new one, if its reading so far off low and high to send a cel, its gotta be incorrect readings

back probe sig rtn (the middle wire correct?)

This cannot be correct. SIG RTN is effectively the same as ground.

The output of the DPFE sensor is the WHITE/BLUE wire which should be the top one. The negative meter lead should be on the SIG RTN line (BROWN/BLUE). Supply is the YELLOW/BLUE wire.

Steve

Back