• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MAF Question

MrFord

CEG'er
Ok, I recently changed my wires/spark plugs on my SVT, and it made a HUGE difference... I guess the garage guy was right about the missfire hehe.
Ok, the thing is, it ran great for only a night, and came back to be as sluggish as before. You can feel it badly under 4000RPM, it just doesn't pull, especially compared to just after I've put the new spark plugs.

I did had a check engine after a little while, for a Lean code, but that's about it. I cleared it, and it never reappeared. Now, the car have some trouble to start from time to time, it just crank dry, then finally after the second or third attempt, it fire off just fine, bout you still can feel it not running as smooth, and accelerator reaction is pretty slow, even in neutral.

I had my OBDII reader plugged the last night while the car was running, and under the Status monitor, I realised that the MAF sensor indicates 0.000lbs/ft (or whatever), either at idle, when I'm playing with RPM or with the car off. So I decided to try and unplug the MAF sensor, and to my surprise, no CEL, and for sure, it still read 0.000lbs on the reader. I remember on my Topaz how sluggish it felt when I had the MAF sensor unplugged, and I was wondering if that could be a case of bad sensor, or something else? Normally it should throw a CEL light no? And I guess normally I should be able to have a reading on the OBDII reader for that?

I never thought I'd miss the good old simple KOEO/KOER tests of the EEC-IV...

well in my OBDII scanning the mass air flow is never zero when the car is running so you might be into something there.

as for lack of power down low, under 4k rpm, check that the secondaries are closing, as if they are open it will run lean under 4k rpm and you will lack performance

My 2.5 96 mystique shows 0 under MAF also, all my other cars shows something, not this one... Let me know if you find out what it could be, I have no clue.

same problems

same problems

You really sound like you know whay you are talking about with your car and you seem to hvae described my cars problem to the T. Problem below 4k and all. I took it to a shop where the guy "had a friend with the car and worked on it all the time" he jumped right on the secondaries and said they needed replacement. 110 dollars (part of that was the replacement of the S belt) but to no avail i hvae the same problems. It is really wierd though, Some times if i get on it, the car will run just like it used to before this problem, and the rest of the time it wont. I noticed on colder mornings it seems to do better. Could i be running into a couple problems here with the MAF as well as my air that is coming into the car from my intake?:blackeye:

... I noticed on colder mornings it seems to do better. Could i be running into a couple problems here with the MAF as well as my air that is coming into the car from my intake?:blackeye:
It could be the MAF sensor or in the case of temperature sensitive, then it could be the Intake Air Temperature sensor. Post year and mileage of your vehicle.

its a 1998 csvt 107k. I just took the MAF out last weekwnd and cleaned it with cleaner and it really wasnt all that dirty.....Where is the air intake temp sensor? Thanks

its a 1998 csvt 107k. I just took the MAF out last weekwnd and cleaned it with cleaner and it really wasnt all that dirty.....Where is the air intake temp sensor? Thanks

It is in the intake tube going to the tb, you can pull it right out. Also MrFord try berrymans fuel system cleaner, i think its called b12. I just used it in my mystique and it actually started up this morning without any hesitation.

I like Berryman's B-12 very much for degreasing and cleaning. However, I wouldn't use it on a MAF -- it's just too caustic. For that, I'd use a cleaner specifically designed for electronics -- CRC makes one that says "Mass Air Flow Cleaner" right on the can.

H57G.jpg

I like Berryman's B-12 very much for degreasing and cleaning. However, I wouldn't use it on a MAF -- it's just too caustic. For that, I'd use a cleaner specifically designed for electronics -- CRC makes one that says "Mass Air Flow Cleaner" right on the can.

H57G.jpg

x2, I've used the b12 for other stuff (too strong for sensitive electronics) and I have used the CRC MAF cleaner for... MAF cleaning :cool:

H57G.jpg
Ya I didnt mean to use it on the maf, but in your gas :laugh: .

Ok, I installed my "new" MAF tonight... to no avail. Still reading 0 on the reader. Still not running as smooth as it did. I regapped my spark plugs (ranging from 0.10 to 0.60, "You don't need to gap them, they already are" thanks Autozone!), it's really a tidy bit better, but you can feel the engine still not idling propely... not very big, you really have to pay attention, but I'm picky hehe.

So, I tested the vltages on the MAF connector, to find out that I had Power, but no Signal voltage... so it's nice to know that there's Check engine for picky O2 sensors, but not for that!
So my next question : What should I check next to find out why there's no SIG voltage? (ref: http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1b/cb/25/0900823d801bcb25/repairInfoPages.htm)
Is there's any fuse/relays?

What colors were the GND, SIG and VPWR wires? I am assuming the ground is black, but I couldnt tell if the readings I got were correct.

Back