• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

humming/road noise sound

PuckPuck

CEG'er
At first I thought it might just be the tires, but now I'm positive it's not.

When going straight or going around a bend to the left, I get a humming sound / road noise like sound. When going around a bend to the right, I do not get the sound.

The sound seems to be a CV joint going bad, or running dry. I checked and don't see any of the boots torn, or destroyed, etc. Now my plan is to just buy a new GCK axle with CV joints, and put it in, but I'm not sure if I should replace the right or left axle.

This is on a 99 SVT

I agree you should check out your wheel bearings.

To answer your first question though, when CV joints are noisy, it is the side opposite the way you are turning that is giving trouble. Also, the noise from CV joints is a clicking noise, not a road / tire type noise.

Yeah I'd say wheel bearing, I got that noise when my drivers side was going, but didn't really notice it until it turned into a grinding.

im having the same problem. well my wife is. she told me about 3 days ago and i also thought it was the tire. she told me that when she is going straight or making a left turn she can hear it but not when she makes a right turn.

Back