• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heads up...came across great leather seats today..

Scottster

CEG'er
I ventured out to a junk yard today in search of a rear reflector (I got one, more on that as that project progresses...) and came across a black/tan 98+ Mystique with a complete set of amazingly beautiful tan leather seats.

I don't need em, but man these things looked like they did when that car was still in the showroom!

I just thought I'd let all you "locals" out there about the find, if anyone wants to convert their cloth seats to some nice new 'hides.

The place was called "ScrapBusters" or something to that tune, just off Michigan Ave north of I-275, and they had about 10 Contours/Mystiques of all years. Even had a bunch of Focuses and 2 Cougars that were pretty beat up.

Hope this helps some of you guys!

Any Pre-98 Consoles?

Yep a whole bunch (like 6+ or so), plus saw one with a 5-speed boot too, but it was a pre-98 mercury (won't fit). You could grab one of the Tan ATX consoles though, and then scoop just the boot from the Merc. Grab the good cup holder out of the 'Coug they had and you're laughin'!

Last edited:
Went and looked at those seats yesterday, and was actually going to pick them up, but the driver seat had some serious mold infestation going on, so I decided against it.

Bonnie, I'll bet the consoles would be really cheap. When I got there I overheared the guy on the phone tell someone a whole door only cost 35 bucks. I'd guess the console would be a steal next to that!

Rara, was it so bad that a good cleaning couldn't get rid of the residue? I thought they were still in salvagable condition.

Polack, yeah they had a few pre-98s. The reflector was 20 bucks. I called a place in Windsor about one before I left, and he wanted $75! I felt like I robbed a bank with the dough I saved on that one!

Another great source if you don't mind getting you're hands dirty and getting the part's yourself, is "Parts Galore" on 8 mile between Van Dyke and Groesbeck Hwy. I actually found out about that place in Car and Driver Mag. in a funny article written by their whitty coloumnist John Phillips. He told a story about a guy taking a buicks radio out with a crow bar, while he and a friend were getting a door for his GP. Parts Galore is muck bigger than the place I was just at, and they have 8 gabillion cars to check out, all arrainged in order of make in neat rows.

I took a few trips out there this past summer. A friend of mine got some great leather, power pre-98 seats to replace his cloth manual ones in his mystique. Those things have AMAZiING bolsters on them. I also scored a sunroof gear out of an early contour too, that wasn't striped. I thought maybe they made them of a higher quality in the earlier years, but it only lasted a few months in the summer heat before it stripped too.

I also remember a few SHO Tauruses, even really early ones. If I had an old Taurus, I'd be all over those ground effects and trim!

Both places claim they get new cars in everyday, so you're chances of finding something new are good.

Last edited:
Bonnie, I'll bet the consoles would be really cheap. When I got there I overheared the guy on the phone tell someone a whole door only cost 35 bucks. I'd guess the console would be a steal next to that!

Too bad it was BLAKE asking about the consoles!!! lol

I do need a new dash though, as mine is finally starting the famous warpage.

Scrapbusters

Scrapbusters

39165 Maple
Wayne, MI 48184
Toll Free: 800-300-8202
Local: 734-722-2250
Fax: 734-722-9239

Hours:
8:00 am - 5:30 pm Mon - Fri
9:00 am - 2:00 pm Saturday
Closed Sunday

www.scrapbusters.com