• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre-98 console

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anybody ever done anything specail with the pre-98 console's storage box right above the radio?? thats the only part i dont like about the dash and i want some ideas for what i should do with the space.

you mean right below the radio ...

DSC02790.JPG

um, I do believe people have put guages there ... other then that I am not sure.
http://www.engr.uconn.edu/~briana/aids/DSC02790.JPG

i actually use it for storage. my glasses case fits perfectly.

now the cupholders are crap. IMHO all the versions of the pre98 cupholders sucked. the little ones couldnt hold anything bigger than a soda can and always broke. the bigger one was too shallow to hold anything deeper than a soda can but was too wide. any large cup that had any amount of fluid over the top of the cup holder would just fall over on the first right hand turn. i simply wedge my cups between the passenger seat and the center console. i remove the holder part of the cup holder and put my turbo time there. it almost looks like it was designed for it.

i used to have my wideband and SAFC in there. one guage that size and the wideband filled the gap perfectly. i mounted them from the backside with some tricky mounts i made up. now i removed the SAFC and put the guage where the coin holder is next to the heater vents so the bin is back in there.

i actually use it for storage. my glasses case fits perfectly.

now the cupholders are crap. IMHO all the versions of the pre98 cupholders sucked. the little ones couldnt hold anything bigger than a soda can and always broke. the bigger one was too shallow to hold anything deeper than a soda can but was too wide. any large cup that had any amount of fluid over the top of the cup holder would just fall over on the first right hand turn. i simply wedge my cups between the passenger seat and the center console. i remove the holder part of the cup holder and put my turbo time there. it almost looks like it was designed for it.

pic please?

It looks damn good.

Long time ago,I bought a pre98 center console,because wanted to do the same.Never had time for this project,so thrown it away:shrug:

That is a good question. For me yes, I just squeese the lock in holding the shifter from the sides, and pull it back. No you can not have your hand on the top of the shifter and do it. I have another shifter and am going to cut it down about 3/4" to make my wife happy. However when I showed her how I did it she has adapted fine.

AF

Back