• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What is this?!? Mystery wiring, stock.

Pole120

Addicted CEG'er
I've seen this on both the cars i've stripped and I'm trying to figure out what it is. Basically we've got two larger gauge wires coming into the cowl area, from there they are connected to smaller gauge wire and looped around several times and taped to the wiper harness...

Now on Alex's old car the wiring was OK, on the race car the wires were melted and corroded form excessive heat/current. Following the two main wires back to the harness just makes it more confusing as to what their purpose is, as the go all over the place in the harness and splice off in different directions.

Can anyone tell me mwhat this is for???

100_4128.jpg

msc188.jpg

i have no idea...i don't recall seeing that when i had the cowl off running the power cable for my stereo back in the day

you said they're live right?? weird...

Maybe they are relay wires for the different speed setting that the wipers can be set to :shrug:

no, mine looked exactly the same. they tie into your headlights somehow. i had an exposed wired grounding out everytime i turned my headlights out, and thats where it was, they looked exactly like yours did, i thought it was somebody's hack job too... but its not. :crazy:

Back