• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Grinding screeching noise behind hud/rotor area???

G

green SVT

Ok well there has been this grinding, screeching sound on my passenger side by the well when the car is rolling. I took off the wheel and caliper and spun the hub and the sound seems to be coming from the boot closest to the rotor on the axle. Does that mean I have to replace the axle? Is there something else that this could be? Bearings? I just want to know b4 I pull the axle tom.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

~Steve

it might be the wheel bearing, does it make more noise if you turn a certain direction? you should wiggle the tire with the front end jacked up to check for excess play

I agree, it sounds like a wheel bearing, just had same problem,mine was totally shot and didn't have any play in it at all,just an awfull noise.

Well did the "o'clock" method where you push/pull tire to see play and there def was some. I think its a wheel bearing to because it doesnt tick like a busted axle or cv would. I would take it does it about the same, but probably more when going straight. But its so loud I cant really tell. :(

Yeah,I can relate to the LOUD noise, mine was so bad it sounded like i was dragging a plastic trash barrel under the car!Relatively cheap fix, bearing was about 30 bucks ,$30 for the machine shop to press it in and out and $10 for the cv spline nut(from ford).-Paul

hmm I want to do it, but I think I better take to dealer to make sure its the bearing. Is there a way to test? Yeah its LOUD I was kinda embarassed driving because sounds like my brakes are eating the rotor whole, but its not lol you know?

ok can the wheel bearing cause the ABS light to come on?

Back