• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

To change out spark plugs or not...

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
I was looking through the service records of my SVT that the previous owner gave me and saw a receipt for a tune-up which consisted of plugs, wires, fuel filter and cabin air filters. Car has a K&N air filter which is why this wasn't replaced. Anyways, they didn't list what plugs they used but, all 6 only cost $19. So, i'm somewhat concerned as to what they used for plugs. They charged the guy $95 for cheap-o noname wires. The car has 114k and the service was done at 100k.

The car does not have a missfire or anything like that and actually runs very well. But, I am concerned that they used crap plugs in it.

Although, my gas mileage has been very good lately in the SVT, usually getting 27-28mpg commuting back and forth to school and 30ish on longer drives.

Maybe i'll pull one plug just to see what they put in...

If the plugs are "crap", you will get a misfire. If the car is running fine, don't mess with it (or your head).

I have to agree with Tony on this. If the car isn't doing anything yet, leave them. If you get a problem later one, check them out. I was about to do the same things in my fiances car, the previous owner put in Bosch split fires but it runs fine so I left them.

I also suggest leaving them in because they seem to be working fine. But if you're curious just pull one to see what it is. Probably autolite platinum though.

Back