• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

upper intake cleaning ?

Dirty Intake Symptoms?

Dirty Intake Symptoms?

What are the symptoms of a dirty intake?

Mike

well, its dirty, for one.

:D :D

decreased mileage, power and throttle response would be the top three.

just a general overall decrease in performance, not any specific speed/rpm related misses or anything like that?

thanks

mike

Last edited:
Correct. No specific rpm range problems, etc.

Across the board decreases.

Now, WITH a dirty UIM/LIM comes a dirty EGR passage (sandwiched between the TB and the UIM where the TB mounts), and dirty TB, which CAN account for some specific rpm range problems, as well as a CEL for EGR issues, etc.

What is UIM/LIM?

If I disconnected the egr valve and still had the same 2000rpm area stutter/miss (which i did) , would this eliminate the UIM/LIM problem? (again, sorry, the acronyms are not familiar to me!!)

FYI (an anyone's info), I replaced the front roll restrictor and the passenger side engine mount (one of the easiest things I've done on this car!) and they had no effect on my 2000-2200rpm light load miss. It was only my idea that they might BTW.

Mike

that crap looks so grimy -_-.. so bad.. i would hate to clean that stuff lol...

Now I would have thought you'd like to get dirty. ;)

I <3 getting dirty. :D

I've cleaned three so far and am going to start my fourth this weekend.
The last time I did a cleaning Jason, I8RICE, gave me a plastic bag to put over my sweatshirt.
I used a cordless drill with a cut off bottle brush so the :censored: really splattered. :cool:

Took about three weeks to get all that crud off my hands.

Back