• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Suspension Issue?? Please help!!!

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
I replaced my stock subframe with a reinforced subframe and new sway bar.

The steps I took to do it are here:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=18351

1 Thing is now my rear feels wobbley like everytime I am driving on uneven pavement whether it be small pot holes or deformed pavement/tar, My rear end tends to sway from side to side from my drivers seat it feels like a dogs tail going side to side(wagging).

also Sometimes my tires seem to be tilted like this / \ sometimes \ \ angle wise(from a rear view) if you understand.

I checked everything to see if I missed a bolt and double checked all torque settings and it looks like I did everything correctly. Im gonna get back under that car tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

- Amyn

did you get an alignment after you installed everything? my guess is the rear toe is off causing your instability

Last edited:
did you get an alignment after you installed everything? my guess is the rear tow is off causing your instability

What exactly is the rear tow???

I think something is loose down there or not set properly because my wheel looks kinda tilted in....which i think i know wut the problem is on that...

What other things can it be?

- Amyn

my bad. it was late and i couldnt type. i meant rear TOE.

the inner bolts for the (as you called them) rear control arms are eccentric so you can adjust the toe angle of the rear tires. to much toe in one direction or the other (cant remember which off hand) will give you a very unstable wandering ride.

(i think its too much toe in but im not positive.)

have you gotten a 4 wheel alignment since the work was done? if not get that done and them report back

you are right on my friend. toe in is the wanderer. toe out makes it spin happy. alright amyn get the alignment checked on the car. also what tires are you running because with an aggressive toe setup and some stiff sidewall tires you will feel every imperfection in the road. and especially at speed. i imagine you have about 1-2 degrees of toe in right now. that will give you an interesting ride. and just remember fwd is totally different from rwd when it comes to setting the suspension

Looks like my rear control arms. werent tightened enough..... As when I tightened them with a super long breaker bar.... Everything seems perfect as of now....

1 question tho......

Should I use sometype of thread lock liquid????? and can I apply it with the nut alrdy on the bolt or do i gotta do it with them apart?

thanks again

- amyn

Back